Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

How would you feel if you smoked

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How would I feel? Like I committed horrible crimes against my own body and sentenced myself to death row. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 827 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit four years ago for six months and then started back up again and it didn't bother me. I wasn't ashamed, I wasn't disappointed in myself, I was just like, "Oops. Oh, well." And I went back to smoking. This quit is VERY different. I would be so devastated and so very ashamed. The thing is, I know SO much more about addiction and what smoking does to your body than I did four years ago (or even two months ago, for that matter). I can't UNKNOW what I've learned and because of what I've learned, I don't ever, ever want to smoke again. I posted here the morning after I had a smoking dream, and when I first woke up, I thought it had been real. [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=36291&forum=12]That post shows how I felt.[/url] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,761 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $174 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:8o: How would I feel if I smoked a cigarett now? The expectation would be a real Let Down: Considering that I'm having trouble with my sinuses "big time" (can't smell anything), I wouldn't be able to taste the nasty thing. The smoke would probably make me choke or sneeze. The sadness of caving in would create ANXIETY. The depression from breaking the promise to myself would be devastating to my inner ego (the confident one that tells me "I Can Do It). Lastly...Anger at the Nicodemon in me :eg: He's not going to win this time...Folks!!! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,319 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $313.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would feel even worse when my kids would see me with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth, or the neighborhood kids or anyone one of the numerous people who have put their faith in my to make this quit stick. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 678 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $335 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Extremely disappointed in myself. :( Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 948 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $423 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to agree with Anna. I could not stand the smell on me! Terri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 153 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,306 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $544.68 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rainie - I don't have to even think about it because I remember those dreams when I smoked and how upset I was (until I woke up and discovered that I was a non-smoker) Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 178 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,576 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $890 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
GUTTED! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 204 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,291 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1071 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 40 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
broken hearted [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 851 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �210 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know exactly how I would feel if I smoked. It would taste terrible. I'd get a buzz and feel just a bit on the dizzy side. I would also get a searing pain in my upper chest like a hot poker got stuck. I'd start to cough not merely a cough but one from the soles of my feet on up. I would cough all the air out of my lungs and get spots before my eyes, I would feel consciousness slipping away and struggle to breathe in just as I am coughing out. Panic would set in as I feel like I am going to die. I'd grab onto the nearest object to keep from going to the floor. Finally I'd be able to draw in air. I'd try to suppress a cough enough to clear my head. Another spasm would convulse me. After a few smoke free minutes, I'd be breathing again. When I smoked, that would be the signal to light the cigarette again and try again. I have to face it. I have not "smoked" in a long time. Maybe two years. I have tried to "smoke" but if it were you, and you were having that effect, would you smoke? I did. I did for years, I'd burn through 2 1/2 packs a DAY like that. Over and over again, each time expecting what? What exactly would I expect when I lit that cigarette? That I'd be able to smoke, enjoy it? I was insane. The definition of insanity is doing the same harmful things over and over again each time expecting a different result. I never got a different result. I'm done with being insane. That means I'm done with smoking. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $390 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36

Reading this thread: