Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

THINKING ABOUT SMOKING

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey There Sunshine, I'm very new to my quit so I'm still learning as I go, with the help of my support group here on this site. Don't be afraid that you're having to practice some of the techniques that you used in the beginning of your quit. Practicing those techniques certainly isn't a step backwards for you. It just means you're well equipped to handle any cravings that may come along the way, whether it's now or a year from now. The phone and the car are also triggers for me. Maybe if you use the phone outside of your car, it'll help some by having one less trigger. Maybe it'll help if you won't subject yourself to both triggers at the same time. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 165 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8.37 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rainie... I laughed so hard (I almost peed my pants)!!!!!!!!!! "Hang in there Sunshine...YOu can do this" auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,335 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $218.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunshine, first - congratulations, a lot of smokers never did make it to be great grand parents. Secondly. I don't think you should be scared. You are exhibiting wonderful insight. I do think you should be warry (sp?). Ol' nic has been inside your head. It's like a robber who has been in your house before, you never again feel truly safe. You know I started back after 11 years. Because I'm stupid? maybe. I like to think that Ol' Nic knows me that well. But you know what? you know him just as well and you can use that knowledge to turn the table. Be confident in your quit. WHATEVER new angle he is using - it is not good enough. period. You have already exhibited that you are successful at not smoking. This struggle within yourself has to do with something else - not cigarettes. Ol' nic wants it to appear that way but he doesn't call the shots. YOU DO! Have a wonderful time with every member of your family. I'm sure that each of them can benefit in a different way from you presence. What a gift that you are here for them. And, think of the pleasure you will get in return. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 499 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $245 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunshine, You're right that this is being caused because this is something that you haven't been through yet as a non-smoker and your brain remembers a time when you had a child or a grand child and smoked. As you know, this too shall pass, but sometimes, that's not a comforting thought when it takes FOREVER for it to "pass!" But, it will. Just remember those same coping mechanisms that you had in the very beginning and keep them close to you. If you have to, take it 5 minutes at a time and remember all of the reasons why you quit. Just look at that perfect, beautiful great grandson of yours and know that you're going to get to spend more time on this earth with him than you would have if you'd kept killing yourself with a cigarette! So be thankful for all that you have and all that you have given yourself since you quit! Enjoy the time you have with that precious baby, as well as your grand daughter and the rest of your family! It is so precious and I KNOW that you would NOT want to ruin it by smoking. I know you won't smoke. YOU know you won't smoke. I know that you just want the "wanting" to go away... and you also know that it will, so hang tight! And congrats on 400+ days! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 476 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,917 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1965.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunshine Those smoking thoughts come and they pass. I think you have it; it is the situation. I�d say you are handling this just fine and you do know when you knock this trigger down there will be one less trigger that you haven�t handled and beaten. By the way my triggers were phones and cars also. How much are cigs these days? How about drinking bottled water in the car, spend much less time talking on the phone �honey can I get back with you on this when I get back home? �, shower(s) or bath(s), go to bed earlier if that is possible, stay busy with your relatives, keep your mind lively and those smoking thoughts will evaporate. Great job here sunshine and what a super quit 400+. One more thought to hold; smoking is not an option and perhaps thinking this will help made the thoughts fade. Congratulations to you for Great Grandson and enjoy your stay with Grand daughter. Sounds like a lot of fun for you. Stickin to it
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to all of you, the Nag is still here. I have a feeling the Nag will be around until the excitement goes away...And I will be so thankful. My Granddaughter came home yesterday, her husband is with her through Monday. That is when I will go and stay for two weeks. Rainie, I would be afraid to have the cigarettes in my house tonight. So I think I will spend it on something special for the baby. Thanks for the compliments, you're too funny....Congratulations on your awesome 22 days. :) Butterfly Swimmer, thanks for your encouraging message. My family would be devastated should I smoke...I would be more devastated. I never dreamed that at 400+ days I would be feeling like this...Nag, Nag, Nag. But as you said this will pass. But 4 days seem like forever. I never had a hell week because I used the patches, if hell week is anything like this, then I'm going through it...I think it was a post by Shevie, If you're going through hell just keep on going. Well that is what I plan to do. I'll just take it moment by moment. Thanks Pam....and congratulations on your AWESOME 476 DAYS!! Aunt Deb, thanks for your kind words, and I glad that you got a laugh at Rainie's message....Congratulations on your HUGE 46 days. stickin to it, I guess what is so overwhelming its three triggers at one time. You are right, smoking isn't an option for me. That is what I keep telling that Nag..... Thank you for your kind words. And congratulations on your GREAT QUIT. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 405 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,899 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1417.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 59 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$229,918.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 10

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hello Everyone, Since Tues I have been thinking about smoking. Its only for a moment, and I know why....On Tues I become a Great Grandmother, and I am so excited. Having to use the phone to call family and friends. The phone is a trigger for me, I didn't take my cell phone into the hospital so I had to go to my car to call everyone.....The car was always a trigger for me. So being excited, talking on the phone, and being in the car the thoughts started coming. I found myself looking in the console where I always kept my cigarettes but all I saw was gum, hard candy, and oh yes, a straw. That is when I said "I don't smoke anymore". But it has been this way for 4 days now. I don't understand what is happening. I know that I won't smoke but WHY NOW??? What I am thinking is I have not been through a situation like this and I know that it will pass. I have been staying busy doing my deep breathing, something I haven't had to do for a long time. I know that it is just a thought, and not a craving. But it is very unnerving, as I was driving home I found myself looking at the prices of cigarettes along the road. That alone should scare me. You would think after I had been blessed with such a perfect Great Grandson, smoking would be the last thing I would think of... I know I can't leave the situation, because I will be staying with my Granddaughter for two weeks, and the phone is always ringing, and I will be in my car more that usual. :8o: Thank God their home is a non-smoking home. I did reward myself last night, I called my best friend and we had a lovely dinner. She has never smoked and has no idea what I am talking about. But it did take my mind off of smoking for two hours. :) Do any of you have any other suggestions??? I know that I won't smoke, but I guess I'm just scared. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 405 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,896 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1417.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 59 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$229,918.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Checking in to let you know that the Nag is practically gone. I finally realized that I was the one that had control. I read lots of post last night. The phone is not ringing as much, I have dile-up so maybe that is the reason. Rainie, thanks for thinking of me last night. Its good to know that on this site there are compassionate and caring people. Stay strong in your quit and don't let your guard down. imallclear, thank you so much for your words of encouragement. This addiction has a way of working back into our lives. The longer we allow it to stay it gets bigger. I had read your post about you loosing a 11 year quit. I am so sorry, but you have got a good start on your last quit. So stay strong and be prepared for any and every thing. Tutti, Welcome to SSC, and congratulations on your now 4 days. I appreciate your support. You have a good idea about using the phone outside of the car. I'll be watching for your posts. Lady, of all the people on this site you know what this feeling is like. My quit has not been that hard, I know that having people like you and all of SSC has helped. I knew that I wouldn't smoke, but it took lots of deep breathing and trying to relax. So I have took back the control.... My program is doing great, we still have 12, we have had a couple of slips, but nothing major. When it comes to setting the meter I leave it up to them. Both of them set their meters back. They are anywhere from 6 mo to 6 weeks. I had to call on them this week and that felt weird. It was good for them, to see that I needed them and always will. One even came to my house, she lives next door. She helped so much and she has the least amount of days. So no matter about the number of days your support is important. Hey girl, look at your meter just 4 more days will be your # 600, now that is a quit. Congratulations Lady.....And as always thanks for your support. Casey, I'm doing better today. I finally realized it is all about control. With all the triggers at one time, I was just about blown away. After posting here and reading other posts helped. Thanks for you support. This is a fabulous site and all of you make it that way. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 406 [B]Cig
  • Quit Meter

$229,918.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just checkin on the Great Granny... I know you will be ok when all the dust settles...just want you to know you aren't alone and I am thinking of you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 458 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90.64 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Granny- ;p You need to take the $1417.50 that you have saved and go buy the 6,896 cigs you haven't smoked and sit down at the table and look at all you have accomplished in 405 days! Granny!!!! 405 days you haven't smoked!!! Holy cow that is just a dream for me. You need to pull out all those posts from when you first started, look at your workbook, and finally, look in the mirror and ask yourself...."does this hot lookn' Great Granny want a cigarette hanging out of her lips...the same lips that kiss the new baby?" "No she doesn't" Do you feel better? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 453 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90.64 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20

Reading this thread: