Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,699 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CBEA KATRINA, LLYKA, aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH

Redefining fun

17 years ago 0 99 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great responses. I love how everyone has a different take on this subject. I drank my first two sips of beer tonight. Only two sips though because i'm not really a beer drinker. But that was a start!
How are we suppose to have fun now that we quit smoking? Does this worry or bother anyone? Please no candy covered responses. I would really like to know how everyone feels about this. :)
Thanks, I respect your response :) Not that smoking persay was fun, maybe it was for me a little. But the activities I surrounded myself with were fun and were better when smoking a cigarette. Now it seems like going to a bar, hanging out with friends, having a glass of wine at home while watching a movie are not going to be as fun anymore. I understand, some day those activities will be fun again, but not for a long time. I find myself trying to go to bed as soon as the sun sets to avoid that void. :(
Thanks n2k :) I really hope I get there. I want to be able to drink alcohol without cigarettes.
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hopeless (Are our brains attached??!!) Actually, in Canada smoking is less fun...bars, homes, restaurants are all non-smoking so you need to go outside by yourself. I have spent too many hours outside smoking when I could have been dancing, eating, socializing and having fun. I miss having "fun" right now because I am having to avoid some of those activities that I loved the most. Nothing I like better that opening a bottle (or 2 or 3) of wine with good friends/relatives etc. I know that it isn't going to be AS fun the first time I do this after quitting because it will be a trigger for me. But those people who have quit before assure me that life will be FUN again. I say we have a HUUUUUUUUGE party when we get through this and celebrate! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 177 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hope, I'll be blunt. When you first quit smoking, life is boring. No matter what, it just is. You can distract yourself, and you should. But I think more importantly than that is knowing that this sense of boredom is a very TEMPORARY thing and eventually life does return to normal. It sneaks up on you quickly when suddenly you realize, "I had a good day. A really good day". It does happen, just keep believing that and you'll be OK. Cheers, Jan
17 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hopeless I know where you're comming from. Every last one of my friends are smokers. My roommates are smokers. Needless to say I haven't been out of my room except to go to school or work since I quit. It sucks, but the way I look at is is I probably wouldn't do anything durring the week anyway, so I've only missed out on a couple of weekends. By quitting I'm going to get those weekends back with interest, so I'm not really losing anything at all. I'm not sure where you are on your quit but I think by the time this weekend rolls around, I'll be about to day 20 or so and I'm ready to get back on the horse. I probably won't go anywhere too far from home, and I definately won;t drink too much but I think I'm ready to do a little bit. So it doesn't really take that long to get back into things. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 348 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Hope [quote] How are we suppose to have fun now that we quit smoking? [/quote] Was smoking supposed to be fun? I dont ever remember the constant want for a sickarette being fun. I dont ever remember seeing those television commercials of people dying of cancer as i light up fun, i dont ever remember being breathless or having constant sinus infections fun. Stop romanticising about smoking... it was NEVER fun thinking i was slowly killing myself. I now have more time to spend with my family, more time to clean, more time to walk, more time to do the thing i want to do without being constantly reminded i was a sickarette junkie. You will find over time that you will no longer think of smoking as fun and you will wonder where you found the time to do it! Put a list together of things you would love doing. Things like Walking, swimming, yoga, reading a book, watching a movie, jigsaw puzzles for a start... work on your list Hope :) You didnt want me to sugar coat so i didnt :) PrincessC :) x
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hopeless One thing at a time, one day at a time. You will enjoy your wine again,you will enjoy everything you did before your quit, just be patient and give it time. You have to make non-smoking memories of all you did in the past with a cigarette. I now drink my wine and enjoy it, I drink my morning coffee and enjoy it (used to drink it with a smoke before breakfast) yark...So time and patience is the key to this journey. It gets better I promise :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,484 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $392 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hopeless smokeless there you go enjoy it in the safety of your home... :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,484 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $392 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27

Reading this thread: