Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,516 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

WHAT EVER IT IS

17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete, I agree that the site has changed. That is the main reason I left the site. However, it's people like you and Duffis who made me want to come back to still be a part of the site every once in a while now. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 290 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,271 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1197.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete, I do not want anybody with so much to give to leave this site, although of course it is up to them. There have been disagreements here over the past month, and some very valuable members of the site have left. I for one, wish they would come back. Those who disagreed with them, I hope would welcome them back. We all have something to contribute, even it's only the occasional 'well done' post. Please send my best wishes to Duffis; I'm sure he'll make the right decision. take care Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 183 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,506 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1372.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think you and Duffis are pretty amazing people. Thanks for explaining, but I already knew those things or at least suspected and I'm sure most did and, as always, I'm certain people read each word carefully, and took his post in the light it was intended. I sure hope both of you remain active members here. I'd say it would be tragic if you didn't. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 177 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1593 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 29 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete Thank You. The two of you are wonderful and aweinspiring quiters. Thanks for posting this and thanks for bringing more of your life to the world of the SSC. Please do consider staying the value that both you and Duffis add to this site is immeasurable. I also thing that it would be a tragedy if either of you were to withhold you knowledge, love and wisdom from the rest of us. Thanks in gratitude Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 178 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,578 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1335 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 29 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It didn't need clearing for me. I think he is amazing and hope he does come back. I point I would also like to make is the ease with which we can misunderstand the true meaning of the written word. As some of you older (keep them feathers down Lady!!!) quitters know, I am a management trainer. When we teach communication skills, we often refer to research on how we receive the message. Depending on the study that you refer to, the content or actual words used are worth 10%, the way that the words are spoken are worth 40% and the body language or non verbal communication is worth a whopping 50%. So, without the tone, inflection, pauses and signals, we can easily get it wrong. One other thing for the guys! the girls are much more receptive to the non verbal signals than us men. So..........if you are going to be less than truthful, do it by text or down the phone! Anyway, thanks for the post Pete and I'm sure that the vast majority of us do understand and care. Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 250 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,751 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1250 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 453 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know what all the ruckus is about, (darn! I always miss the good stuff...) But I just want to say Thank you and let you know that both of you are in our prayers at this time. If there's really strength in numbers, the collective good wishes from all of Duffis' fans here on this site should guarantee improvement in short order. Please keep us posted. The vast majority are in debt to him for unfailing inspiration, support, humour and good old fashioned butt-kicking, when necessary. Cold Turkeys will be awaiting updates... mc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 349 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1396 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete, Those of us that know Duffis know that he is a kind, giving, God fearing man. Getting to know the two of you has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. You are like parents to me. Always there, always comforting, always encouraging, and always suportive. Anyone who says any different doesn't know either one of you. You are two of the kindest, accepting people I have ever met. Thank you for being a part of my life. Do not give up your quit Pete. You have worked too hard for too long to gain your freedom. I understand your feelings. Please know that both of you do make a difference. We are all so very proud of you and how far you have come in your forever quit. I, for one, love you guys! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 409 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1431.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Pete (and Duffis too): You have been a huge inspiration to both walkingeagle and myself on this site. We don't come around much anymore - read now and then - but not much posting. The site has changed - and walkingeagle too is thinking about walking away. As we move through different stages of our quit we need different things and maybe now is the time to move more toward a non-smoker than a quit smoker...we both know it will always be there in the back of our minds from time to time....but we also know that smoking isn't an option....ever....N.O.P.E. Pete, thank you for filling us all in on Duffis' situation more clearly. We both wish both of you the best and Duffis will be in our thoughts as he continues to fight the fight ahead of him. Thank you again for you support and insipiration walkingeagle and attaboygirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 516 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,489 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3096 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$60,850.74

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6642 Hours: 19

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don�t really know how to do this but here goes anyway. I have read the old boys post and while I don�t agree with everything he said except the story on how we came to quit, I just felt heart broken that he didn�t get the real message out. Duffis is one proud individual and he will not ask for quarter from anyone including death. This is not meant to be a pity me party, but it is to help all of you understand Duffis in a little different light and why he posted what he did. 1. He is 73 years young. 2. He is fighting cancer 3. He is fighting for his life 4. He is not a quitter except for cigarettes 5. He has tried to support this community of people trying to quit smoking 6. He resents anyone or thing that does not support the purpose of this site. 7. He has never posted attacking an individual 8. He doesn�t resent the Administration editing his post; he even expects some to get edited. 9. He may or may not come back to continue to support this community. I hope this helps clear the air for some of you. Pete [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 182 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,484 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $637 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$567,637.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5342 Hours: 13

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 296 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All the very very best to you and Duffis. Rachel x Two years, five months, two weeks, three days, 21 hours, 12 minutes and 37 seconds. 17977 cigarettes not smoked, saving �4,044.79. Life saved: 8 weeks, 6 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes.
  • Quit Meter

$17,516.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 789 Hours: 13

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: