Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

what to do what to say

17 years ago 0 457 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, that would anoy me as well. I thinkt hat I would just stop after getting tired of that and say something like "It doesn't really feel like you want my support in this. This is what i know, and what I can share. There are many ways to quit, and I hope that you find one for you." Then as someoen suggested, suggesting you all go out together after they've gone a week would be really good. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 749 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $169 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marie, it would still annoy me after they say they want to give asked your advise you give your friends all this encouragement and support go out of your way to get this information to them for them just keep on smoking. As i mentioned in my reply, we can kick scream throw things at them but if theyr not ready, its going to be a darn sight harder to help them in their quit. I understand fully. My ex was an alcoholic, i thought i would be able to change him, after 8 years i walked away. His words still echo in my ears, if you come back to me i will give it up. He still smokes like a chimney and drinks like a fish, he turned 40 yesterday. As for my nephews girlfriend, they have this new commercial for smoking on television where they show a lady with cancer of the mouth. she just flicks the channel where i sit there and study it lol (i like the morbid reminders of why i quit). We do have laser treatment here but she STILL wont do it. Once again, can give her all the information but i cant make her do anything. I want to find a way that i can subconciously get her to quit. I like to think my quit inspires her but i dont think it does. :( She is only 24. I wish i could have a magical touch where i can just "fix" it all for everyone. No pain, no stress, no turmoil. I really identified with you post Marie, thank you for bringing it up. PrincessC
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yea, makes perfect sense Marie. The only thing i can really say is that theyr not ready to quit. They are but theyr not. You know the steps it took to get you to where you are, remember the time when you were at that point? I remember it. I wanted so desperately to quit but was afraid, something just snapped in me and i knew that this quit was it, no going back. It will happen to them at some point. The "I will suffer through it on my own" is a cop out, they know full well that translates into: im terrified to quit, this is my friend. If i dont tell anyone, it doesnt matter if i start smoking again coz no one knows. Its "junkie" talk. My nephews girlfriend says that until they invent a pain free withdrawl free quit she's just going to keep on smoking. She is an athsmatic. I have educated her as much as i can and this is all you can do Marie, offer them the information. You can lead a horse to water..... you cant make it drink. I understand fully on why this would get on your nerves as well :) lol I love that you have 45 days quit, thats awesome :) PrincessC [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 391 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $173.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Princess C -the good news is you can advise your nephew's girlfriend that their is such a treatment. Laser therapy is pain free and it takes away or at least radically diminishes the physical cravings for nicotine. Of course you still have to work really really hard to battle the psychological addiction and other withdrawl symptoms but I think its the best thing going. I'm in Canada - do they have such a think in Australia? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 208 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $102 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lst night was a bad time for me, and when I feel this way I feel I'm in negative mode and I should not post. I'm feeling much better today and feel I can deal with this and much more. Back to normal, I am ,Thanks all and Josie I sure don't feel like a Guru LOL [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 682 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
Thanks guys, I know, I know, I was being nanana, I was getting all wrapped up in my emotions, But guys I bounce right back. I was a bit annoyed by the questions and when I answered ,nothing I said was the answer they wanted to hear. So next time I will know how to deal with it better now I have all the tools prepared in my mind and everything is A ok Thanks again you guys :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 689 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
Hi it's me again, in the last two days, 2 of my friends have told me they were going to quit smoking, one has started reading all the studies, the other one says he doesn't need support and doesn't want to talk about it, he says it won't help, he wants to suffer alone. Ok I tried to direct them to this site(no) they don't beleive in it etc etc etc I tried to direct them toward the government funded support group no, don't beleive in it. These are people I am around pretty often ( not so lately) because of the smoking. I don't talk to them about it, they mention it to me everytime I see them or talk to them on the phone. I'm still early in my quit and I don't feel I can give them more help than I have. So I'm wondering how to approach this I don't want to offend them, I really enjoy their company but I don't want to keep talking about things they don't seem to want to hear about even if they ask. Plus it's starting to get on my nerves a little tiny bit :)Does this make any sense ? :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 675 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marie- I wanna talk about my quit and all my feelings as well. My husband does not want to talk about it at all and sometimes that bothers me. He appears to be having an easier time with the quit than I am. I have had to realize that everyone's quit is different. Since he won't talk....I have you all...my wonderful quit family! I guess some want to quit quietly and stoically (how lonesome!). Every few days I spout off how many days and this he doesn't mind. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,344 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $528 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When you feel negative do not be afraid to post. We all need support. A lot of times it is that support that will help turn your mood around faster. (((hugs))) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,326 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $308 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$54,512.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 7

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Buy them a copy of Allen Carr's 'Easy way to stop smoking' & leave it at that, if they want your help they will ask for it. if you tell a smoker to give up, they will smoke more ! remember..... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 573 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3724.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 82 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$12,550.14

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 628 Hours: 0

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: