Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.761 posts in 47.061 threads.

160,839 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Sinea, MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS

Just need some encouragement

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom, I'm glad to hear that things are getting better. Keep the control that you have, you are doing fantastic at 34 days quit. Take Care, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mom of one. I know how you feel. my mum & stepdad lived 15 mins away from me. a long story - but I had stopped smoking for 5 years ( I know I'm going to hear about this from some of you - that's ok!) my mum had also quit many years before and was a maniacal ex-smoker. I was ashamed of starting back smoking and because of that I stayed away from them. It all got silly, but at the end of it my mum died suddenly (went into hospital on a Wed afternoon, diagnosed Sat noonish died that Sat nite/ Sun morning 1:30 am). I hadn't seen her in 2 years. What did she die from? Lung cancer that was moving to her heart. That is how bad smoking can get. And how we need to embrace the ones we love - even if they do stress us out. As I've read here - don't let nicodemon give you an excuse. It took me 2 years since my mum died to get down to quitting, and nicodemon is trying her best - but she's not going to win this time! Keep nicodemon away! And remember you can always come here! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 265 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $66 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 547 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Momof1girl welcome! Funny how you just posted on a parental topic, I wrote a post on how my mom triggerred me the other night. You can read it [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?Forum=12&Topic=28791]HERE[/url] i hope you are feeling better today, and please stay strong, there is nothing that can make you return to smoking UNLESS YOU ALLOW IT TO. STAY STRONG!!! Many Blessings, Eve C.A.R.E. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 84 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Momof1girl, Stressing out will do little good. And you know better about having a smoke... it'll do nothing but screw up your 32 days of smoke free that you are very proud of. Maybe you'll have to talk to your parents. Set ground rules. Tell them that you love them... but you have your life as well to live. Hang in there. N.O.P.E. Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,313 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $249.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
4my2girls~I am glad I am not the only one that doesn't have the nerve to tell my parent's to keep their mouth shut, and opinions to themselfs. I don't feel so weak now. Thank you SOOOO much for your support. It really does help to know that there is someone else in almost the same boat as I am. We have so much in common its almost scary but comforting in the same sense too. I never would have thought anyone was crazy enough to rent a home from their over opiniated (sp?) parents/parent-in-laws. I am SOOO glad that I decided to quit when I did though instead of waiting until April 1st like I had planned. I know I wouldn't have been as strong as I am now with my quit so the chance of a slip would have definately been greater and that could have ended up being very bad. Thanks for all the support everyone. God knows I needed it to be successful. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 414 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $71.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
Hello everyone, I am doing MUCH better today. Still smoke free I might add too. My parents come over invited yesterday and all was well. I have decided that when the time is right I will just ask them if they still have a key to my house and if they do to please not use it unless they have our permission. Hopefully that will get the ball rolling and they will understand that yes it may be their home but I am renting it from them and they wouldn't go into the house if anyone else were renting it without permission. I love my parents to death and don't know what I would do without them, but they are going to have to come to the realization that I am grown and have a life of my own regardless if thye agree with everything I do or not. I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I am sure without you all I would have smoked and I DO NOT want to do that. 4my2girls~Sorry I don't have the instant messager downloaded, I am usually at work when I am on this site and don't think it would be a good idea to download that on a company computer. Do you know of any other way we can exchange e-mail addresses though?? Have a WONDERFUL SMOKE FREE day today everyone, and THANKS again!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 413 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $71.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
Alright everyone I really want to smoke now......this is the first time I have REALLY had a craving since my quit. My husband just called and said my parents are back and they have been in my house without my permission!!!!!!!! I can't believe it, that is SOOOO rude, I don't care if they have a key or not that is MY personal space. I am so mad. I understand I am renting the house from them but that DOES NOT give them the right to go into MY space without my permission!!!!! I should be treated like any other renter and they wouldn't do that to anyone else. I really want to smoke but I won't. I WILL NOT let them be my downfall. I refuse to let thme have that power. I don't want to have to hide it again. I won't smoke, I won't smoke, I won't smoke, I won't smoke, I won't smoke. Thanks for the great support everyone. I really need it right now and he helps tremendously. 4my2girls, its great hear from you again, how are things going for you??
Hello everyone.....My parents are moving back to this wonderful state today after being stationed elsewhere for the last 5+ years, the whole time I have been married. I am really struggeling with it and want to smoke but then again I don't. I love my parents don't get me wrong but they stress me out. Its just stressful to think they will be living SOOO close to me and can pop in whenever they see fit. I don't want to smoke and won't smoke, I've come this far why turn back, but I still need some encouragement to keep going. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $67.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent idea! That is the way to break the ice with your parents. My parents are the exact same way ~ I am an adult now. Like it or not. This is my life. This is how I raise my kids. Keep your response to yourself, unless I ask. OOOOHHHH how I wish I could say that to them!! Oh well. I knew you had it in you to get through this without smoking. It is always a blessing to find that inner strength and kick some Nicodemons a$$ ~ and walk away that much stronger! I don't think SSC allows us to give out our personal e-mails. There has to be a privacy issue in that. Just keep posting. I am here everyday! (unless I am on vacation!!) Take care, and good for you on your smoke-free truimph!! 34 days - WOW!!!! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,394 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $150.42 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Momof1girl, It's been a while since we've talked! I know where you are coming from. I live in a relatively small city and my family does too. My parents live only 3 minutes away. I remember when you 1st came here. I told you that I too hid my smoking from them. (I think yours was your in-laws??) I was always fearful that one of them would just pop in. Somehow, I made it a habit to have them call first. Most of the time they did. Only a few occasions that my dad popped in to visit. Scared me every time!! Anyways, living close to your family could be a blessing. The way I think about it, I have a baby-sitter always close at hand. My kids love staying over there, and some days my mom calls and asks if she can take the girls to the movies. Its wonderful sometimes - a moment of peace..... I make it a point not to talk to them everyday. We do talk a lot, but not everyday. My parents are very opinionated. It sooo irrates me..... so I have to back off. But that's okay - I'm usually busy anyway. There is not much you can do. Be careful if you approach the subject with them, but definately, do say something about boundries. You'll stress yourself out if you dont. Hang in there! We are here for you! :) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $143.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52

Reading this thread: