Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Choices

18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Couldn't agree with you more, Pam. So how does it feel to be over the 100 day mark? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,337 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
18 years ago 0 415 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We are on the same page I see! Right on Pam! Right on! The Chicken [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $142.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
very true.........this addiction doesn't need much of a "reason" to suck you back in. And watching others fail when they are further ahead than you are (or even behind you in some instances) can really do a number on the junkie thinking. thanks Pam........great post, as usual!! Sheryl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,415 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $634.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Butterfly, thanks for the great post.I totally agree with you. We must keep in mind that we are ultimately the ones that are choosing to smoke or not. I too get so sad when I see people lose their quits. I have had it affect my feelings in my own abilities to stay quit. But that takes us back to your words .... TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN QUIT!!! I have, and I will continue to do so. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,952 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $672.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I disagree with the domino affect. We are all responsible for our own quits. I have been on this board for quite a while now and have seen it go through several "mood swings". The replies that I make to a person that slips is based on that particular person. Some times I ofter hugs and the pick yourself up, brush yourself off attitude and then there are other times that I get out my broom (as Jan would say). While we need to be encouraging to those that slip and try to help them build the confidence that they can accomplish the goal; we also need to make sure not to send the wrong message. Smoking is smoking and quit is quit. I wouldn't ever do anything to discourage anyone and I don't believe anyone else around here would either. I firmly stand on the belief that the actions of others causing a person to slip is just another one of the junkie excuses to smoke. When your desire to quit outweights your desire to smoke, you will quit and nothing anyone else does will stop you from obtaining that goal. Once again this is just my opinion. Take what you want and leave the rest. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 265 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $927.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, I think we're basically trying to say the same thing. The fact is that the domino effect DOES happen... you've seen it and I've seen it. Whether or not we LIKE it or choose to accept it is completely different. I certainly don't condone the domino effect and I'm not saying that because one person slips or relapses that it's OK for others to do the same... of course not! And the responses that I give to people are always tailored to the person, yet are always honest as well. And I would NEVER discourage someone from quitting... I don't care how many times a person slips or relapses... I always believe that THIS time is the last time until that person proves me wrong. So like I said, I think we are saying the same things. :) Thanks for your opinions. They are appreciated as always. And thanks to everyone else who has offered opinions. I think the topic of slipping is a very sensitive one for a lot of people, however it's one that needs to be addressed at times. This is meant to offend no one and I hope that nothing said here has offended anyone. I just want to see everyone succeed! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 146 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,665 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $481.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whenever a person with an established quit slips or relapses, it almost inevitably causes a domino effect where newer quitters slip or relapse as well. I wrote about this once before in �board mood swings� and I see it more and more. I�ve caused those �mood swings� before and have also been a victim of them� smoking because I felt that there was no use keeping a quit if so-and-so couldn�t do it. So I know how the board operates. However, this doesn't have to be the case. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN QUIT!!! What one person does doesn�t have to be your destiny! Each one of us has the power within ourselves to quit! It's whether or not we are willing to ride out the storm that makes the difference between whether we quit successfully or we keep torturing ourselves. I hate seeing people relapse or slip. My gut wrenches every time and I feel an indescribable pang of sadness and remorse every time I read about it. Please, if you�ve �slipped� or relapsed or are thinking about it, think about the fact that you have a choice� a choice that could determine the amount of time you spend on this earth. A choice that determines the quality of your life from this moment on. A choice that could either save you thousands of dollars, or cost you that money. You are doing something that millions of people only dream about doing! Why throw that away? Rejoice in your quit! Don�t slap it in the face by throwing all of your hard earned freedom away!!! Please, please, please� before you choose to end your quit, consider this one thing� when you are breathing your last breath before you leave this earth, do you want to regret the choice you made today or celebrate it? Crave the Quit! Pam P.S. I did not have any one person in mind when I wrote this post. It is my personal belief that all people can benefit from this post� newer quitters who are struggling, and those who have not yet taken the step towards freedom� people who have slipped recently, and people who are firmly secure in their quits. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 145 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,649 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $478.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31

Reading this thread: