Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Emphysema and COPD

18 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Guys I am 47 years old and smoked for 34 years. I got the results back from my lung biopsy yesterday. Good news is the mass in my lungs is scar tissue, not cancer. Bad news is the damage in my lungs is Emphysema/COPD. I am OK with this. I brought this on myself. I had a smokers cough for a couple of years and always proclaimed it was a "cold". I had a couple of real bad cases of pneumonia and only slowed down smoking never stopping. I even smoked in the bathroom when I was in the hospital with pneumonia. I am past beginning stages of Emphysema and COPD. But not quite advanced. Doc said start smoking again or one more bad pneomia and my new best friend will be an oxygen tank. Basically he went on and on about how I have the capacity of a 90 year old with a half a lung that NEVER smoked. He went on and on about No Smoking. I appreciate what the lung doc had to say that I deserved everything he said about smoking and NOT smoking........ However my doc gave me nothing on Emphysema and COPD. I heard the word emphysema and frankly it was not less scarier then the word cancer at the moment. He gave me a couple of prescriptions and said see ya in a month and don't smoke. So, sure today I have done a little research on the Internet. I am finding Emphysema and COPD can be managed. Is anyone in this group in my boat?? Is anyone around my age? (47) As Always....thanks Kare [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 685 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $135 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
18 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Josie and Casey Your dedication is admirable, No doubt there is a place in heaven for both of you. I have been searching the threads for COPD, thanks for the advice. Bob, thanks for your insight, especially being a nurse. And for the boost of confidence. :) you gave me. I am beginning to wonder about the "scare theory" as many of my friends said they too have been given the same scare tactics by the doc. Christine, you and I seem to have more then a few things in common with age and mom and our quit. I am sorry about your mom. It is hard to watch. My mom is my inspiration to quit smoking. Because I do not want to wind up like her!! Thanks for writing and sharing. I am not alone. I appreciate your note MUCH. Kaiser, thanks for writing and when I started searching threads about COPD I ran across your name. Did you get that chest X-Ray yet?? I hope you did. Thanks Karen in Florida [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 699 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $138 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes docs tell you this to get you good and scared. The "beginning stages" could mean anything. I'm sure you read about emphysema and it can be really bad (late stage) and irreparable. I'd say to you that what matters most is your quit. I have a friend who had severe COPD- on nebulizers and puffers and prednisone and now, after quitting for 3 years, she barely uses a puffer. It's a hell of a lot different than cancer, as you know. I'm an RN, so I'm not just spouting at the mouth. I have seen docs say this a lot ("beginning stages.."). With our first drag off our first cig, we all are at that stage, if you want to get technical. Keep up the good work, Kare. Don't let that diagnosis concern deter you. Exercise, deep breath. You'll be amazed, I'm sure of it. 45 days is amazing, given the fact you were one of those patients with pneumonia smoking in the bathroom!!! Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,068 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $234 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kare: I have been diagnosed with Emphysema. There is a lot of good information out there on the net. I am 59 years old and I have seen a great improvement since I have stopped smoking. I can breath better and I sleep a lot better. Kaiser [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $740 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ItsIronic ! I am 46 1/2 and am very sorry for your news. I don't have emphysema that I know of but, my mother was diagnosed with it at about our age. She never quit smoking (2 pks/day) and decided to ignore it. In her 60's she began having unending colds and sinus infections. She seemed to be sick all the time as I have remembered. But then, she never even slowed down her smoking for a moment. Now she is 74 and has that deep-deep 2 minute at a time cough and is pretty miserable. Oxygen 24/7. All the breathing treatments..She is a heavy drinker and weighs 94 lbs. She has had pnuemonia often and is now getting hospitalized for it. By all rights, doctors have told her that she had no business living this long because she absolutely trashes her body on a daily basis. We don't know what is holding her together.. but, the one thing she did in her 40's was to take vitamins. Vitamin E and C mostly.. She also has a daily habit of doing very difficult crossword puzzles and word puzzles of any kind. She has done this to keep her mind keen. She was actually approached my MENSA and invited to be a member because of her high aptitude in English. She's a MENSA. [color=Orange] I can only imagine what shape she would be in today if she had stopped smoking and only drank a glass of wine with dinner. She would surely outlive us all !! [/color] Take good care of yourself and you will have a long life ahead.. (I'm trying the vitamins.. adding some calcium lol) Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,097 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $150.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kare Bumped a thread on emphysema, my mom was just diagnoised a few weeks ago with emphysema. As far as I know she says that she is not smoking. Cuddles [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 693 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $122.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear about your health. Take extra special care of you now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 331 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,292 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2482.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ITS, Sorry to hear about your news. If you do a search under COPD, you will find lots of useful information. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: