Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,475 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Update

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Baye,

Yes persistence is the key..befriend your Family doctors secretary and have her keep tabs on the referral as well.  It is a process, but persistence will get you places.

Each Psychiatrist does specialize, so this Dr. perhaps reviewed your referral and thought you would be better taken care elsewhere.

Keep pushing forward, you will come out ahead soon!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OMG! Baye, You must be so frustrated!  I give you big credit for your patience and persistence... hang in there and keep trying. Hopefully the Health Educators or other members who are familiar with the Canadian medical system will have some suggestions for you.  I just know that it took me several years and several pdocs before I found one that would/could be of help.  It was finally worth all the struggle and strike outs when I was able to meet someone who finally got me on the right medications.  Again... don't give up. You are the best advocate for you!  Might help to keep in mind that someone who is unable to help you is addressing their own lack... not yours.
12 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So my GP realized that this is out of his scope and sent a referral to a Psychatrist, I returned a call but the appointment was given to someone else. The woman said she would talk to the Pdoc on friday, this was a wednesday. I never got a call back and I waited a week and a half and called her. She told me she couldn't find the referral but sometimes the Pdoc takes them to review and he was in Vancouver at the moment.

So I see my GP on Thursday and he asks me have I heard anything from Pdoc, I told him the above and told me to call back again. I did today, she still could not find the referral and wanted the GP's number to have it faxed over again.

Anyway she calls me back 10 minutes later and says "Pdoc reviewed the referral and feels he can not help me!!!!" The referral was sent back upstairs to I believe she used the word triage, this is a hospital setting.

I am to call this other extension if I don't hear from anyone in the next week. Here I am thinking I am on a waiting list, that is supposed to be short and with a Pdoc that also works with people will coronic illness. I have type 2 diabetes. Now I am in not sure what to think when a Psychatrist feels he can't help me.........

Reading this thread: