Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,519 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Falling

13 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good to hear you got the job! I hope this upturn in events helps pull you out of the downward spiral!
13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg

Good news that you haven't had any significant withdrawl symptons.

Keep well.

cyclerider
13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cyclerider,

I don't for a fact know it is the Celexa. That's one reason I said it was something I shouldn't do. I know I'm taking a chance. But I am feeling better, no major withdrawal symptoms (I had tingling in my fingertips  after two days of Celexa, but that's gone now).

It's now been eight days, so far so good. I can concentrate better, no sign of depression returning. And my depression was not as bad as many people get, judging from what I read here. I still don't recommend this method to anyone.
13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg

Good luck with the new job, as you say teaching is hard but rewarding.

I think you are making a mistake by going cold turkey on the meds. I am on Celexa (citalopram) as well and have found it to be very helpful in my recovery. From what I have read you should stay on the meds for a least six months after the depressive symptoms have subsided and even longer if this is the second episode of depression. My plan is to stay on them for the reommended time.

How do you know it is the celexa which is reducing your creativity?  
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello greg_c,

Thank you for the update. First of all congratulations on the new job, I am glad to hear that it has been a rewarding experience so far. As you mentioned, making a choice to discontinue or stop taking a prescribed medication is something you should definitely consult with your doctor. Let us know the outcome and continue to work through the program should you need more assistance.

Samantha, Health Educator
I did get the job. I'm now teaching, and it's amazingly hard, and amazingly rewarding. 

I've done something I probably shouldn't have. I stopped taking Celexa. I have been having so much trouble sleeping that I need sleeping pills, and I find myself growing to depend on them. I suspect the Celexa is making it hard to get to sleep. Before the Celexa, I could get to sleep, but I would wake up after two or three hours. Now, I just can't get to sleep at all.

I know that I should taper off an SSRI, not quit cold turkey. But I need to sleep, and don't want to depend on sleeping pills. So, no Celexa (five days now, no withdrawal symptoms), then starting Friday, no sleeping pills. We'll see what happens.

No, I haven't consulted my doctor. I'll tell him at my next appointment, in three weeks. I am in no way recommending that anyone else do this. I've read about people having terrible withdrawal symptoms, and I know I risk relapsing into depression. But the Celexa, while it seemed to work for the depression, also seems to 'numb' creativity and passion, and I need those back. So I'll take the risk. Wish me luck.

Thanks again Ashley,

OK. Things that have happened since that last post of mine:
  • I'm told I'm getting the job.
  • I've told my wife about the seriousness of my depression. I had previously played it down.
  • I'm working my butt off to make up for the lost two days.
  • I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, and plan to seriously discuss meds.
I also have to decide whether to tell my new boss. I know for a fact he'll be understanding and supportive, but I'm not sure I've completely come to terms with my condition. I thought I had, but this last weekend puts that in doubt.

Greg

13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg,

It sounds like you feel defeated, is this right?  I can hear how tired and upset you are about this.  Taking the weekend to relax was probably a good idea. Try not to reinforce any negative core beliefs; taking one weekend off will not get you fired.  Try not to be too hard on yourself, it sounds like there is a lot of guilt here. You really needed to take care of yourself and relax this weekend.

In regards to the antidepressants and medication, talk to your doctor if you have concerns. Also, have you had a chance to work on the program at all?  I think it would really support you right now.

How are you feeling today?

Members, please share your related experiences.

Ashley, Health Educator

I've done nothing this weekend except  sleep and lie in bed watching tv. At this rate, even if I keep the job, I'll be fired eventually. Yet, why put in the effort for something I'm likely to lose? I'm beginning to think the antidepressants and sleeping pills do nothing but make me tired. 
Thank you Ashley.

I feel as though I've put so much of myself into this, tried so hard, I have nothing left. I know what I'm feeling is the depression, the mental illness. The trigger is real, the feelings are the result of a chemical imbalance. But it still hurts so much. I'm tired. 

Reading this thread: