Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

being honest

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
lol DJ, it WAS!  But since it's full, I'll let you keep it and get another.  Hope you find it as useful as I do.  Hey, how'd it go with the date?
14 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Was that your glass?

DJ,
Are you hiding my glass?
14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LOL goofy!  "Can't find the freaking glass" haha

It is certainly hard to be positive with depression.  I think if you are able to be positive then clearly you are not depressed
 but seriously I understnad that it does take a conscouse effort.  I have heard that this effort starts to become easier.

has anyone expereinced that?

DJ,
I don't know how I would label my upbringing in terms of having a negative or positive outlook on things.  However, I do know that everyone used to tease me at work about thinking everything would be okay.  That my cup was always full not just half-full.  They would post jokes and one person complaining and one saying, "well, at least we ...." and they'd write my name above the person that came up with something positive out of the most negative thing.
I wish I had that back!  I don't think I view my glass as being half-empty now.  I can't find the freaking glass.  lol  If I could only remember where I put it. 
I am not trying to make light of the issue.  I am just saying that my outlook changed from an overly optomistic outlook to one that is neutral at best.  I think that what I've learned about the depression explains that.  I don't like it.  I am retired now and not in school so I can take more time to make a conscious effort to be more positive.
That's something that I think I've not read on here (remember I can't find my glass either, so maybe it is on here).  But not being depressed is a lot of hard work.  It is a conscious effort, it takes time, concentration, and perserverance.  With brain chemicals gone awry, it feels like fighting a losing battle.  It is very time consuming to work on these things - thinking positiviely, not worrying, dealing with anxiety, negative core beliefs, etc.  They require us to use the very mind that has quit functioning as it once did.  It can be exhausting to have to spend so much time working on these things and  then if one has to make a "public appearance" and put on a happy face, no wonder I go home and go to bed.  If you are combating depression, having a relationship, working, going to school, then I can see where one might get a little negative.  It's one more thing to add to your list of things to do.
I don't know if this helped or not.  It depresses me just reading it and thinking about all the effort that I put forth today to stay out of bed and then gave in for a couple of hours.  I was 75% successful though adding my sleep time in there. 
I don't know if I am making any sense or not.  I'm going to bed , it's past my bedtime.

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DJ,

A lot of your questions are very valid.  I suggest reading over the education section of the program.  It will help you come to an understanding of your depression.  It might be a good idea for your wife to read it over as well.  She may be able to better understand depression. Once you complete that I highly suggest starting on the program.  It is possible to change negative core beliefs. 

After reading the Education section I would really enjoy hearing your thoughts on the material.  Tell us what you think.

Ashley, Health Educator
goofy

Thanks about the bike I could talk about bikes for ever, to build a motorcycle from the ground up is my way of relaxing some read some jog I build bikes or paint,I realy enjoy painting vintag adds/signs. but  the last few months Iv realy lost intrest in my hobbys,Last night at school i was lost they may as well have spoke chines! I don't know why Im feeling so down my wife say Im a very negitive person and that its hard living with someone like that but she stays and trys to get me to be more positive,I know my Dad is a very negitive person is it posable to inherit this ? I grew up in a negitive home I geuss? How can I change my aditued? I think ,I know Im feeling sorry for my self,and thats sad! Why am i feeling this way again?
Wow DJ, what an awesome bike.  I know that is your hobby, but I'd hang that on my refrigerator as a reminder of what I can look forward to doing one day.  What motivation and talent to be able to rebuild motorcycles to look like that.
I can relate to working full-time and going to school full-time.  My son also did that as well.  My advice to him as well as what I followed myself :  School is very important, work is important but social life and enjoying life is just as important or the other is for naught!  I am including your wife if "social".  
I am stereotyping here - but as an engineer and a student in that area - I bet you spend alot of time perfecting everything you do re: homework.  I know grades are important but remember the other aspects of life and take time to smell the roses now!  I hope my stereotyping didn't offend you and please let me know if I'm off my mark.  :)
Again AWESOME BIKE!

14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It seems like you are quite busy these days, school and work. That is great that you make the time to spend with your wife and I can understand that it might be hard to avoid talking about what's taking up all your time. Are you going to be studying for much longer? Perhaps you could plan a reward (vacation, weekend getaway) for when you finish, and you use this to motivate you to get through this hard time. 
Hang in there DJ!

Samantha, Health Educator

Thank you for your kind words,But I have little time for my hobbies right now as school (studying) take up a lot of my free time,But I do try at least once a week to take a break and spend time with my wife,but in the back of my mind work is always their,My wife says I talk about work to much!

Reading this thread: