Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Gratitude

12 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess I was just saying that gratitude is one of those things that can help bury the negative.  The other day we finally got some much needed rain and I happened to glance out the window in time to catch a glimpse of a bright and beautiful double rainbow. Took my breath away and my mind off my sadness for awhile.  Still does when I think about it.  I'm grateful for that.  

Today I am so very grateful that my grandbaby is napping... yay! and that it is Friday!  It's the little things....
12 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds like you were getting to a good point!  Sometimes the best thoughts/ideas take time to formulate but once formulated they can be an aha moment!  Take your time

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Depression is so... depressing... it just sucks all the life out of me and makes everything ... everything so hard.  It creeps up less often now, but when I let down my guard or get distracted... there it is... my always loyal and ever present companion.  It is something I can count on.  So.... one of the things I've learned here about dealing with it is to accept that it is real and present... kind of honoring it in a way... respecting the power of it.  I cannot make it go away... there is good reason for it to be there/here ... physical, chemical, relational, historical... it just is.

One way to deal with it is to bury my depression fed negative thoughts with positive thoughts.  It doesn't change the reality of the negative.  But, it CAN bury those suckers so they have a harder time surfacing and I have a harder time finding them.  This phenomenon of burying the negative has been explored by Davit on the Panic Site (he explains it way better than I do, BTW... worth checking out).

Sooooooooooooo one way I can bury the negative is by focusing on the things for which I have gratitude.  Long explanation to get to the point I wanted to share ... 

Ack!  Now, I've lost my train of thought... but it had something to do with gratitude.  I'll come back to it... baby is here... gotta go <sigh>

Reading this thread: