Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

The benefits of exercise - share your goals

16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing unchained! Good for you for getting active! Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
walking definitely helps. I hadn't walked in a long time but yesterday I just went for it and it really improved my mood for the rest of the day.
16 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Okay, willing to give this a try. I'm gonna try to walk for 20 minutes once a week. Hopefully it'll help. Has it helped anyone else? Freebird
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, It has long been known that exercise is one of our greatest defenses against illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity to name a few. Exercise is also beneficial to those with depression and anxiety. In addition to encouraging the stimulation of neurotransmitters in the brain that are responsible for mood, it can also help to relieve tension in muscles, help you sleep better, boost energy levels and ward off weight gain. Increasing your level of physical activity can seem daunting; however, here are a few tips to help: Start small: Even 10-15 minutes of activity has been shown to temporarily improve mood. Set a realistic goal: Once a week is a great starting point and remember you can always change your goal later on. It may also be helpful to schedule it on the same day & time of the week and let it become part of your weekly routine. Exercise is not a chore: If you do not like the gym, find an activity that you do like that will also get you moving. Some examples include sports, dancing, walking with a friend, pet or your favorite music, bicycling... Identify your barriers: Address what is keeping you from exercising and modify your goal or strategy accordingly. We invite all members to share their goals or questions with the group. There is strength and numbers! Keep persevering! Danielle ____________________ The DC Support Team

Reading this thread: