Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

someone making you believe your negative core beliefs again

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Perth,

You are very welcome. Once you get a handle on how to deal with difficult people like this you will be unstoppable

It is common to feel frozen in a situation like this because you may feel you don't have control over the situation; however, you do!  Keep us updated on this.

We all have your back!

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

You are so right....
This is bullying and it's never nice.
Even if someone doesn't suffer from depression, its hard..

And yes, that is also right, these people make us feel small in order to feel big.... how didn't I see that from this perspective...??
As I said, I was blocked, I am still ... just lost in these bad feelings.

You asked some good questions how I want to feel and want to react..
Yes, I will think about it... I really don't know... but answering these questions may be the key to getting out of this freezed situation of not being able to respond sensibly or at all....

Unfortunately, I think I gave my power away... You know that feeling when you let someone control you..? I think this is also reason why I am feeling so bad....
I gave the control over to them...

Anyway I will think of how I want to react next time.

I would like to thank you very much for your kind answer. It really makes me thinking and looking at a different perspective.

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Perth,

Ok take a deep breath and recognize this is just a set back; a set back that was triggered by this negative bully. Set backs are a normal part of the healing process and they simply point out areas you still need to work on. That being said dealing with people like the one you are describing is hard even for people who do not have issues with depression or anxiety so give yourself a break. It will take extra effort to deal with this individual but you can do it.

Remember not to give your power away, you have a choice in how you react and how this person makes you feel.  People like the one you are describing seem to enjoy making other people feel small but this is their issue and they usually have low self esteem themselves but don't let them get that satisfaction. You are not small, you have come so far in managing this difficult disorder, you are much stronger than this individual because you don't make others small to feel big. Unfortunately meeting people like this is a common occurance for many so use this experience to learn what you need to do to deal with this type of person in the future.  How do you want to react to this individual? What do you want to say? How do you want to feel? And speak from your authentic self and not your depressed, anxious or bullied self because that is not you.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All,
I've gone through many of the sessions and found they helped me a lot. After a while I thought I'm really prepared for life. Until I met someone who triggers negative core beliefs in me again... all these feelings of worthlessness come again. All the feelings and beliefs they made me believing in my childhood... being the ever last and least worth person in the whole world, being somebody strange and un-likeable, probably not even existing for many people or without any relevance to anybody's life, someone who you can always hurt and laugh about as he/she will never give back, someone whose feelings are not counting, who as person is not counting, and who cares really how he/she is doing.. someone without meaning or relevance, someone you can always utilize for your purposes as he/she will never recognize you were only playing with him/her.

What do you all do in such a situation? How do you cope if you need to interact with such people?
I almost thought, yes I may also have a voice, my thoughts can be respected and they count (!) to someone... (even to my boss...(wow)
I almost got to the point to be "normal".
And then it comes out of nowhere - this interaction with this person who treats me exactly the same way as I was treated as child in the school...
what do I do...???
I feel blocked. I feel as in my childhood... and its hurting very much ...

Does anyone have any experiences on such an encounter ... ?

What can I tell them, what can I do, what shall I think and feel...? How can I prevent the negative core beliefs coming back and overwhelming me..? It's getting too serious, it occupies my mind all the time. I always think I'm worthless and did everything wrong in my life... And I'm pretty much down of course...

Anyone has any good advice?

Thank you very much

Reading this thread: