Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Finding resources to help me with my problem

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cernan,

Oh boy do I know your situation!  I was sooo there! 

Perhaps one of my first exercises was to be with people.  I pushed myself to be with friends and even voluteered in causes that were important to me.  Once there, I had to remind myself, that people were not enduring me they had made their own choise to be here and if they were only enduring then they would say no the next time. 
Funny, there were next times!
Then I began to to find a good thought for each bad ... they must think me nuts,  they appreciate my humor and accept my quarks.  I am the most boring person on the planet, they must need the calm and relax astmosphere I encourage - they do not need to perform with me. 
Many years later, I have learned to take complements and acknowledge that I can complete a task satisfactoraly.  I am worthy!

only thing was that I had were a few library books and a few sessions with Bobby-boy -the pysch stagiere- .  I had a lot of searching and questioning to do.  I had to figure out what was "normal" and find some way to emulate it.  I always felt like  the odd person out.  I couldn't quite understand what was going on. 

What have you been working through in your 50 minutes?  you might be able to take those sessions and bring them into the CBT here???  take a look.
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cernan,

Speaking with a counselor is a great way to express yourself and to share with someone that won't judge. Our program offers great activities and learning material for you to go through for additional support. Read as much as possible and work through the program when ready.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Through the program I have at work I've been visiting with a counselor, and he's helped me realize that a lot of my problems stem from a feeling of not being good enough due to a lack of support from my parents when I was a child. I mean my parents did pretty well with me, I didn't turn out evil or an a hole or anything, I do my best to help others when I can and the like, but they just weren't the lovey dovey Brady bunch type of parents, and I guess I needed a little bit of that when I was younger. The occasional "good job" or "I'm proud of you"

I found that that explained a lot about the way I am now, in both relationships with women and friends. I never feel like I'm good enough for any woman I meet, and I always feel like people whom I consider my friends don't really like me they just tolerate me because they're too polite to tell me they don't like me.

So I was wondering if someone could recommend some resources to help me work on this problem. My counselor is great, but I only get to see him 50 minutes a week, and that just doesn't feel like enough time when you're full of despair a lot like I am.

So any pointers in the right direction would be helpful.

Reading this thread: