Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

slacking

16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Chula -- I'm not planning on giving up alcohol anytime soon either! However, for me, even one glass of wine with dinner will give me a restless night's sleep, and three glasses will make me feel hungover the next day. I'm blaming my medication rather than my age :) A lot of the time I'm only pouring myself a glass out of habit than because I would enjoy it -- similar to staying up past 10:00 most nights to watch each and every version of CSI and Law & Order when a lot of the time they are re-runs! So limiting myself to wine 2 nights a week and turning the tv off at 10:00 at least 4 nights a week really won't cut into my fun factor, and I'm thinking that those actions may actually make those other 2 or 3 nights a week more enjoyable because I'll be feeling better physically and I'll have consciously have taken some control back over my life. Long response to a short comment, but I think it's really important to select the actions that are most relevant to ourselves and our goals. If your alcohol consumption isn't a key issue for you, then stop trying to give it up, and focus on the few actions that 1) will have the most impact on your goals and 2) you are actually willing to commit to in a conscious and concrete way. My final comment: "I'll try" is one of those red flag phrases of something you don't really want to do or are unable to do but are unwilling to admit it. If you hear yourself saying it, you may want to re-evaluate your goal or re-jig it to be something that allows you to say I can or I will. There are so many things that we could be doing to improve ourselves and our lives -- "trying" to do too many of them reduces the likelihood that we'll be successful with any of them.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Chula17, We have a sister site that may be of help to you : www.alcoholhelpcenter.net Lots of tips there for cutting down. Danielle _____________________ The DC Support Team
16 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, that was very helpful. The treatment plan was what I was having some trouble with, so those ideas are great. Not sure if I'm willing to give up alcohol at this point (for the healthy goal) but I'm trying.
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Confused, thanks for explaining for us! Chula, is this what you needed? We are always here for more assistance, sometimes these members do a better job then the moderators! Josie ____________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi chula The goals sound great to me -- I've got your #3 on my goal list as well. The treatment plan is where you get more specific -- break each goal down into a series of progressive steps or a group of behaviours/activities, and put a timeframe around them. For my Get fit and exercising goal, for example, I've set a timeframe of the end of June and broken it down into 1) get to bed by 10pm at least 4 nights a week 2) rejoin and participate in my local bike club 3) yoga 20 mins at least 5 mornings a week 4) vitamins and EFA daily 5) limit wine-drinking to 2 nights a week. They're a few simple, achievable things that, if I could get them into habit, would really make a difference, I think. For your first goal, I'd keep it down to just a couple of things and shorten your timeframe. That way you can both see progress more quickly. You may want to include your gf in selecting the behaviours/activities for this one, since an indicator of your success will be that she feels more openly communicated with. Hope this helps, and good luck :)
16 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm having trouble staying on task with the activity schedule and goal planning. I made several goals: 1. Communicating more openly with my g/f 2. Developing ways to cope with depression and anxiety 3. Becoming more acitve and healthy 4. Establishing and maintaining my own friendships. Are these goals okay? Any ideas on what a treatment plan would look like? Thank you to anyone that helps.

Reading this thread: