Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with all your discussions...Depression is a kind of disease which can be cured by yourself only.It is just that you have to put some efforts to get rid of that.
13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello again!

Well, I am on my 4th med since April, and I think it may be helping. I hear it takes a while, so I guess we just have to keep trying things until we find something that works. Keep working with oyur doctor and be completely honest about how you feel. The doctor will keep adjusting the meds until you both you find something that works.

As far as telling people, only my family and my doctor knows. I have not told anyone at my school or anyone else. I did tell one young woman at my church, but only because she was struggling with symptoms of depression and didn't know what to do (she was only looking at typical medical reasons and all tests kept coming back negative, like mine did). I thought it might help her out a bit.  I don't think she has told anyone though. I did choose to tell pretty much all of my family though. They all knew something was wrong anyway, so I felt like they needed some sort of answer. This includes my in-laws, my parents, and my siblings. Mostly they have all responded with a reaction like "Huh, that's interesting" and gone on with their lives. My husband is much more patient with me now and understanding since he knows.

In time, once I get stabilized better, I may tell more people, but for now, those people are the only ones I feel comfortable telling.

I think to tell or not to tell (and who to tell) is such a personal decision for each person. If you feel that the person will really support and understand, then telling might be a good idea. If he of she might ridicule or make you feel silly or weak, then I would not tell. If he or she tends to tell everyone everything (gossipy), then I would not tell. You just have to make that determination on a case by case, person by person basis.

Honestly, I think even if only my husband knew, that would be enough for me since I have discovered the rest of them have not been very supportive. Also, I have not told my daughter yet. She will be 11 years old soon, and I am just not ready to explain all of it to her.

If I were working right now (I will be starting in August), I think I might make up some other reason for not feeling well with my boss and coworkers (like having bad headaches or something). But that's just me. Maybe your situation is different.

Great question to ask!

13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Sally.

You are very encouraging. I've been taking Celexa for four weeks, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I see the doctor again on Thursday, we'll see what happens. Again, I know that medication takes time to work with depression, but I'm so very desperate to feel better.

I'm also trying to figure out what, if anything, I should be saying to people. At this point, only my doctor and my wife know. Should I tell my boss? Coworkers? Friends?

I'm glad I found this site.
13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg,

I just wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone with that whole disconnect thing (life is good but still feel awful). I have been struggling with that for the past year.  I have had people tell me, "You are living the American dream (not really, but in some ways yes)." Yet, I have struggled with deep depression for the past year. I have a nice house, beautiful daughter, good health (besides depression), don't have to work, supportive and loving husband, etc, yet I still had many thoughts of suicide last winter. It was this disconnect that caused me to reach out for help and go to my doctor. I think if I had life issues (like a divorce or a death in the family, I would have explain my depression away), but because I had no life circumstances causing it, I knew I really needed some medical intervention.

Also, my husband tells me that he loves me and acts in very loving ways. Logically, I know he loves me, like a fact such as the sun will rise tomorrow, but I don't "feel" any love coming from him or feel any love back towards him. This was another sign to me that I needed some help. I hae always been very affectionate toward my husband, my daughter and my pets. When I stopped caring for my pets, started avoiding my daughter, and felt numb towards my husband, I knew I could't just "wait this thing out" like I had been. Then the suicide thoughts started to come, and off to the doctor I went (just my GP).

With the help of medication, I now no longer have those suicide thoughts (yeah!), and I feel affectionate towards my daughter and the pets again. My poor husband still suffers from my numbness though. I guess this is going to take a while to get things rest again.

I just wanted to share all of that with you so you know that others feel that disconnect between what you know and what you feel. It seems very illogical to me at times. Don't give up! Help is out there.

I've done session 1, as well as research about depression from other sources. I'm no doctor, but I think I have a grasp of symptoms and I understand that there is a chemical imbalance at work. What disturbs me is the disconnect between what I know and what I feel. I know there are lots of people who support me and think I do good work. I feel worthless and useless. The two things should be incompatible, yet they both exist in my mind at the same time.
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg,

I highly recommend starting to work through the online depression program. Start by reading through Session 1: Understanding Depression. It will teach you the underlying causes of depression and also how the program works. From there you can work through the sessions that seem applicable to your unique situation. There are sessions on challenging negative thoughts, core beliefs..etc

Have you had the chance to take a look at the program yet?  There is also homework and worksheets that you can work on. Take your time to work on this, set aside a few minutes here and there.

Remember, you are not alone. We are here supporting and encouraging you. 

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEllo Greg,

I am so sorry to hear about everything you have had to go thrugh and are still going through. The people here are great. Please post as often as you need! Welcome!
More about me...

About two and a half years ago, I lost 40 pounds, out of about 50 or sixty I needed to lose. I felt great about that. Then I began to suffer from cluster headaches. Terrible, terrible pain, and nothing to do about it. After about six weeks, the cluster headaches went away (except for one last year, which scared the heck out of me).

I think the headaches were the trigger for the depression. I started to feel down, gained back the weight I had lost, was put on blood pressure meds, now antidepressants too. And I had to have my gallbadder out late last year.  I'm a mess.

Well, I just finished a week long professional development course that should have left me feeling positive and uplifted. There were times during the course when I did feel like that. But as soon as I was done, I began feeling depressed again.

Next week I have another event that celebrates some achievements I am involved in, and I dread the whole idea. (I'm being vague intentionally). I think I'm going crazy.

13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg,

Many people who are depressed have what other would consider great lives.  Remember that depression is an illiness.  It can be treated.  It takes effort but it can be done.  This program will teach you the techniques that can help you do this. 

The more you talk about it and the more you work on the program the more you will understand it.  I am sorry you are going through this but I am so glad you found this incredible resource.  The longer you stay with the site the more caring people you will meet.  We have a lot of supportive members who can offer you advice.  You can now talk about what you are going through as much as you need and I encourage you to do so.  We try to remain positive and supportive here but there are times when we just need to vent.  It sounds like now this is what you need to do now.

What brought you to the site today?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: