Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Good Evening Everyone - Quick Introduction of Myself

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Of course it depends on the age of the child.  I think the more open and honest we can be the better.  You don't want them to think you "have something" and are keeping it a secret.  That could be scary if their imaginations are active.  They could start imagining daddy has some fatal disease.  That is just something that pops into mind.  However, I also know even with my son being in his 20's; he had difficulty understanding the difference between being sad and having Major Depression.  As I got better he had a hard time understanding if I had fun why did I need the medication and I can have fun now so why keep taking it.  He's educated but I think mental illnesses are hard to understand despite the age if a person hasn't experienced it. 

Back to my original point; be as honest as necessary to keep their young minds from imaging the worst case scenario.
14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To be honest, finding a way to discuss this with my children has been challenging. I've explained to them that daddy doesn't feel well and needs quiet time. Anyone else have any ideas on how we can try to explain this to our children without them feeling like something is seriously wrong with their family?

Strength
14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know I'm a bit late, but welcome 40+ and Butchkiss...

Looking forward to hearing and support one another as we go through this program together!

Butchkiss - it can be a though call with your daughter, I think you should have some sort of discussion wtih her, but make it clear that it is not her fault, think about what and how you are going to say things beforehand, maybe even write them down and then let her know how you are feeling...

Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome Butchkiss; I hope you find this site as useful as I have and continue to do.  We support each other; listen and try to provide encouragement and feedback.  I look forward to reading your posts and hearing your feedback.

14 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Butchkiss,

Welcome to the site.  You will have to decide what is best for your family but possibly you telling her about depression would be better then her finding out from someone else.  Let her know that depression is nothing to be scared of.  If you are having trouble she should still feel comfortable talking to you and approaching you; if she can make you smile or life during this time let her know what a great thing she is doing!  Welcome her to ask questions and be understanding if she has trouble grasping what you are going through.  Is there anything about your depression that you feel is important for her to know?

Members, how did you talk to your kids about your depression?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
I'm glad I found this website.  I have just come to realize that I have struggled with depression all my life (now just turned 50).  For the first time in my life I don't feel in control of my life and it's scary.  I have tried medications in the past without much success and have become increasing frustrated with doctors just "throwing" the next medication my way without much thought about the side effects.  
As a single dad of an 12 year old daughter, (who has just been diagnosed with depression), I feel guilty about the effects my depression is having on her and our relationship.  We have always been close, but my withdrawal is effecting us and is compounded by the normal independence that a "tween" is seeking at this stage in her life.  I wonder if I should have a discussion with her about my depression?  I don't want to burden her, but I do want make her away for us and for her future. Any thoughts?
My mother committed suicide when she was just 45 (I was 14), and I never understood why she could make that choice.  I am starting to understand more about what she must have felt.  I don't have any suicidal thoughts, but I do feel like I am dying inside one day at a time, and it sucks.  
I felt hopeful yesterday when I found this site, set some goals that helped my outlook. I went and exercised that had a positive effect.  I am thankful for those that put in the time and caring to set up this site and I looking forward to this program.
Thank you. 
-Hopeful Again.

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
40+

It helps to have support and shared experiences!  Post often and let us know how we can help.

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcomes.  I will definitely keep you posted and stay in touch with how I am doing.

I will most definitely check out the online tools available.

Thank you so much.  Your warm welcomes are greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Have a great evening.
40+
Welcome 40+
I'm looking forward to seeing you around and reading your posts!  I think you'll find many valuable tools and resources here.  I think it's a great program. 

14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello and welcome 40+!

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself, you came to the right site to find the support of others who are going through similar things. Have you had the chance to read through the program and to explore the tools and resources that are available to you through this site?

We have a great "Group Program Discovery" session online, that walks members through each section of the program on a weekly basis. You can feel free to join in anytime, ask questions, or just share your experiences. There is also a blog feature on this site, that will allow you to write down your thoughts and feelings, if you feel that you need a place to just vent and put what you are experiencing into words.

Please stay close, and please let us know how you are doing. We are here to help and support you  through this journey.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: