Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

no relationship

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEllo Goofy,

You have received uber replies from the others so I won't repeat all that they have said. I did want to say we are here for you, hang in there, and please let us know how you are doing.
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

Keep trying to reach out.  Relationships are hard, but anything worth having takes effort.  Unfortunately that's life.  You simply need to be you.  Brenna is correct about being open about your depression.  You don't have to explain everthing at once.  Little explainations or saying things like "I am having a difficult time right now and won't be able to ____."  You may or may not need more detail than that, but be honest about your issues if you do. Leaving people in the dark makes a relationship difficult.  Some of the relationships you make will be deep, others more superficial.  This will depend on how that relationship develops. 

I think alot of depressive people, myself included, are lone wolfs.  We don't want to have people too close to us, they might see our flaws.  However, if there was someone who could look past those flaws and love you anyway, you'd want that!  Let people see you, then see what happens!  Keep us posted Goofy!
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,   Have you considered joining some clubs or hobby groups in your neighbourhood? These are a great way to meet people with similar interests to you.    Keep working through the program and learning about your depression. There is a section on relationships that is very beneficial. When you are meeting new people, it's good to be honest and open with them about your depression. Let them ask questions so they can understand.
    Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am single. I have not been able to maintain a successful "dating" relationship since my depression started.  I would like to have a companion at times but I think that depression and the stigma associated with it are an issue - not my issue, but theirs!  I want people to understand depression and get rid of the myths, but in a relationship or new same sex friendship, it is hard for people to understand when your get up and go, got up and went!  I've gotten to where I like being alone and that is a scary.  It's less hassle than trying to start a new relationship or maintain one that's lasted a bit (months). I do have one female friend and her husband and my family.  
Goofy

Reading this thread: