Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Chasing Thoughts

2 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for taking the time to read my email. So in response to your question yes I am presently seeing an EMDR Therapist. I have had a few sessions although we haven't spent a lot of time doing EMDR work. It's a complicated process.

I have also enrolled in your anxiety and depression program since January 2022. I figure it can't hurt, right? The more insight I can gain the better.

I can also say that your anxiety program is dead on with the information that is provided. I wish I had access to this kind of stuff 40 years ago.

In the meantime to cope I follow the advice in the depression and anxiety program. I also question myself a lot to figure out what is keeping me in the loop even though I understand the "Anxiety loop" or "Depression loop." I realize that it takes time to "relearn" certain behaviors and that's the difficult thing because the mind wants to take the easy way out or perhaps better said escape when feeling bad.

I'll keep at it.

Take care!

2 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Freeatlast69,

Thank you for describing your experience. I am sorry you are struggling with Depression and Anxiety. Have you talked to a professional about a diagnosis? You say you keep reliving the emotions of the past. A professional can help you to determine of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is further complicating you getting well.

How do you try to manage the depression and anxiety? What coping skills do you have when having a panic attack?

Have you had the chance to check out the Depression and Anxiety programs? I think both would be beneficial for you to complete. I suggest starting with the Depression program and taking your time with it. Even if you have completed Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) in the past, this program can still be a great refresher. What are your thoughts on working on the program?

Take care,

Ashley

Thank you Ashely for reading,

Ok so a little bit of history. Many years ago I had this massif panic attack over an event that was misunderstood. Watching the news on TV relieved a tragic death which I thought involved my best friend. The details where so concise I honestly thought my friend was killed in that accident. As it turned out it wasn't him when I called his home the the following day. So the kicker was that for the first time I experienced such a bad panic attack followed by many more during that night. I was basically not only concerned about my friend but also what was going on with me. At the time I didn't know that I was having a panic attack. I didn't want to talk to anyone about the experience for fear of someone telling me I'm going crazy and that is what I thought was happening to me. Fast forward I became depressed, always thinking "what is wrong with me?"

Today those many years have pasted but I still struggle with anxiety and depression. I fully understand today what I went through back then but still the emotions remain whenever I face some sort of unpleasant event. It seems that I relive those same emotions as in the past. I know it's trauma that I experienced back then. It was too intense for my brain to resolve that experience so that leads me to the question of "deep thinking."

I spend a lot of time trying to figure out if I had missed something from my past that is preventing me from moving forward so that is where the "deep thinking" is coming from. You asked if it helps and in all honesty, not really because I don't really get anywhere but it gives me a sense of doing something rather than nothing if that makes any sense. Maybe you have a point and I'm over thinking this.

I hope my explanation wasn't too complicated.

Thanks

2 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Freesatlast69,

Thank you for posting. This program, that is based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) principles, asks you to complete homework to examine your thoughts. We know that when you examine your thoughts in a structured way it is helpful in overcoming depression. So, I guess it depends on what you mean by going deep. Examining your thoughts with CBT tools is helpful. Discussing your thoughts with a supportive person is usually also helpful. Journaling is helpful. However, overthinking may not be helpful. Can you explain more about what it means to go deep? Do you find going deep helpful? What are you thinking about when going deep? How much time do you spend thinking about your depression?

I hope to read more from you soon,

Ashley

I started the depression program Jan 15, 2022 in the hope of getting better. My history is about ongoing depression on and off through out most of my life.

I have a question regarding chasing the thoughts of what makes me depressed. In other words I really go deep into my thoughts hoping to find an answer. Would you know if this is a healthy approach or am I just creating more trouble for myself? I guess I'm trying to analyze myself.

Thanks for reading my concern.

Best regards.

Reading this thread: