Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Long weekend boredom

14 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy,

good thoughts, I totally agree.  I like a good hour or two to myself, but anything after that I got to get busy.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think differentiating between being alone, being lonely and isolating is important.  I enjoy my time alone too.  It's when there is too much of it that I seem to fall back into my old patterns.

However, we all have unique living situations (I live alone) and so therefore, my situation being alone and isolating is very easy.  In others situations, being alone is a treasure.  

If you can only get an hour alone, I'm glad that you find a way to use it constructively and not dwell on your mental health issues.  I hope you do schedule some alone time, take time for yourself and plan on how to productively spend that time.  You deserve it. 

14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can relate Tofeliz

There are some great tips here Ashley and Goofy!

Furgitit you are truely blessed to have a family who surrounds you a lot of the time.........iits funny how we always want what we don't have...... 

14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What is wrong with being alone?  I look forward to the few minutes that I can be alone.  This happens so rarely that when it happens it is not long enough.  Like the other weekend, my hubby took my daughter to work with him, I ended up being alone to just work on a project for a total of 1 hour and then the call came to meet them for lunch and take my daughter home.  So I would love a day, a week, a month, a year where I could just be alone, not necessarily doing anything just being alone.  There is just too much out there that has to be done and not enough people who understand that my crazy thoughts are valid that it just makes more sense to be alone at times.  I believe that I am more "alone" when I am in a group of peoplke than when I am actually alone.  I have accepted that I am not like everyone else, but everyone else cannot seem to accept that this is who I am and they are constantly trying to make me change to suit their ideas of normal.
14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great suggestions goofy!

I really like the one about accepting invitations. We all feel like isolating ourselves sometimes and this can often be the worst thing we can do. It takes a lot of strength to push yourself in these situations.  So nice work!

Don't worry about not being productive with your game.  You are being productive in other ways; ie maintaining your mental health .

Let's keep these suggestions coming!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I'm alone, I make sure I stay busy.  The more idle I am, the more lonely I become and the more depressed I become. 
I do meditate, I post on-line and do other computer activities.  I have this game I play on here that is very relaxing, I don't worry about the score, I just watch the little ball bounce around.  rofl, now that's being productive.
I do try to find a project to work on though I don't have expectations of a completion date, I don't want the stress.  I am referring to projects like hobbies.
 I also don't turn down an invitation - argh, this is a hard one for me.  I want to be a hermit and not answer the door or the phone.  I just want to be alone (the pity party) but making myself accept an invitation (if I get one) is hard too!  
I also try to plan ahead if I know I'm going to be alone.  My worst habit when I'm alone is crawling into bed, covering my head and sleeping and I can do that for days on end.  So I work very hard to avoid that - though I've not been 100% effective!!!!!!!!!!
Hope these suggestions help you.  Oh, I also come to the depression center and post or read old posts or work the session or review homework....it keeps me thinking.  I am making progress even though I am alone.

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Being social is important but it is also important to feel comfortable and even enjoy your alone time.  Many people do not like to be alone but again it is all about perspective.

Try to think of your alone time as a positive time.  Everyone needs to spend quality time by themselves.  Here are a few ideas of what you can do when you are alone to combat loneliness:

• Read a book
  • Post in the forums
  • Exercise
  • Learn something new
  • Get a pet
  • Go for a walk and people watch
  • Cook a great meal
  • Meditate
  • Listen to music, keep the radio on
There are lots of things you can do to stay busy when you are alone.  Your alone time can actually be some of your most productive and rewarding times. 
Members, what do you do when you are alone?  How do you combat loneliness.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So it is the long weekend and I have one day alone without plans and I feel depressed.

I hate not being busy because thats when I start to get depressed thoughts

Thank goodness for this forum! 

What do you do when you are alone to prevent yourself from being depressed?

Reading this thread: