Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Challenging Thinking

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terry, I think that the best advice you can digest now is what Brenna say below... just start into the CBT sessions here and go slowly at each one . You have a full programme of medications and therapy and this exercise encouragement you get from your brother is invaluable. Lucky you! You know, even if you can't joke or horse around with your son that much you could just hold him as long as he wants and as often as he wants... it'll be good for you too... there's nothing like warm human contact to soothe the mind...
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, I am currently on Trilafon, Paxcil, Lexapro, and Clonazepam. I also attend group therapy at the hospital once a week for anxiety and depression. For about two months now I have forced myself to workout with my brother doing tae bo, pilates, weights, and the treadmill. I have cut out all caffeine other then tea but am still having a hard time not just giving into the depression. The fight in me is leaving and my instinct is to curl up in bed and hide. This is my second bout with this as I said before. Giving into it seems so much easier since I can't see an end in sight but my three year old has been diagnost with it also so he keeps me going as I don't want him to fight this illness alone but most days I can barely find the energy to continue. I know being off work is not helping but I can't even function enough at home. Thanks for listening.
16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terry, Welcome to our support community. We are very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. We encourage you to take a look around the program and get started on the Weekly Session. They are very beneficial to many of our members. Also, post here as often as you can, share your story and your experiences on both good days and bad. Today I posted 10 questions to help you challenge your negative thought patterns in a thread titled "CBT Day!". Please use these questions to help you challenge your thoughts. We look forward to getting to know you better and learning more about you. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terry, This your first post here and we welcome you. Try to speak about your situation a little more so we can share our expereinces with depression with you. For instance, have you been seeing a doctor? Are you taking medications? I can see that you still have a lot of grieving to do about the death of your father. Have you seen a counsellor or a friend or other family member to let all your pain out?? You can challenge your negative thinking by doing exactly what you've done here - reaching out for help to the members and counsellors here. My father died in 1984 at 84 years of age and I still miss him. But I know that he had a very full and good life. He died in the best way I can think of - he fell to the floor in the livingroom of my brother's house and my sister-in-law was there to hold his head in her lap and sooth his passing by talking to him about what he wanted for breakfast that morning!! And I was lucky enough to have spent a week visiting him in hospital a few months before his death and I taped his memoirs of his youth at sea as a radio officer and his life in the army during the civil war in Ireland. I returned to Canada with six hours of tapes and a headful of memories about him as a man and a father. I grieved with my sister who lives here in Canada also. It wasn't all roses and wine; I had my criticisms of him as he did of me - he was a full person and very human - there nothing near perfect about him and being able to talk at length about my relationship with him and to listen to my sister's experiences with him helped a lot to pass through the grief into acceptance of the loss. Please let us know what your circumstances are now vis-a-vis friends or family and counselling. In lieu of that you could write about your father here and what he meant to you,if you feel up to it... Either way keep coming back here and talk to us.
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How do you challenge your thinking when you just feel like giving up. This is my second bout with anxiety and depression but this time it is taking me much longer to come back from it. The first time I was off work for about a year and a half. This time it is going on to three years and the symptoms are so different. Lately I have had some goods days but is always followed by a crash. I feel like my brain has shorted out and may never repair itself. I hear myself saying I have no more fight left within me. I also lost my father to cancer recently and am not sure how to stop thinking about him since he and I did everything together.

Reading this thread: