Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Psychiatrist visit

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members ,

This is a great discussion. Part of the program are great sections on communication and relationships. Have you have the opportunity to check it out? You may find that some of your concerns are very common and the program will offer tips and strategies as to how you can resolve or help cope with certain difficult situations.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I provoke confrontation. I think the worst is not to say the things. I know it from experience. For example if he tells me that he won't tell me what he feels etc but then I insist till I got the answers. Even if there is tension I believe that's better to talk.
I think that if don't tell what are you thinking the others can't guess it.

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sheba - sweet is good! that's a great question, too why does it turn into a screaming match or the cold shoulder? cause we're all nuts? communication is harder than it seems? everybody has their preconceived notions? stubborn? spiteful? i hate it, that's for sure, will avoid confrontation - but then that leads to a whole nother can of worms!
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sheba,

I am glad after you fight he now understands and had calmed down and is supportive! Yay!

As for why we need to fight to heard, wish I knew!
Yesterday after the first hours of panic he seems to be adjusting with the idea of me completely off meds for good. I'm off meds since end of july and he thought that with the reassesment visit the doc will put me back.
Anyway now he is very sweet and supportive (after a good fight) 
Why people need to fight just to be heard and understood!? 

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sheba,

Sorry to hear your boyfriend is so afraid. I do agree with the others that if he went to the doc with you it might calm his fear. Is that at all possible? Anyway, hang in there and keep us posted!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sheba,

I second Rose306's advice..........I believe your boyfriend may feel more at ease if he also heard what the doctor has to say and if he has any concerns he can bring these up as well if you both go in together. As you said, sometimes the issue is in how each person interprets the same information.

Hopefully he will be more supportive as you need him to be. Have you spoken to him about his?

Good luck,

Faryal, Health Educator
Well I knew just from this summer that maybe I didn't need meds anymore. The doc told me that it was ok to suspend and he told me same thing on the Saturday evaluation. And also I'm feeling that I can manage only that I need my boyfriend support too. But he is afraid!
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sheba, wow - sometimes the people we live with see us in a clearer light, maybe he is right about you needing the meds, but he shouldn't have a problem with you discussing him with your mutual doctor, maybe you should both go in together? that way he knows what is being said, not out of the loop. my husband sure noticed the difference in me when i went on wellbutrin - he said i looked and sounded miserable, probably right, cause i sure FELT that way. good luck sheba, you deserve it
Hi all! My boyfriend had the  strangest reaction about this. Just told me that he things that I need the meds!
I just had a good fight with him about this. The problem is that my doc is his too. And I told him that I need to talk with him and about the fears of my boyfriend.
and told my boyfriend that I told the doc that I need to talk with him about all this. His reaction was a really bad one. He told me that he wouldn't tell me again nothing about my cures and that I shouldn't tell to the doc what he is thinking etc.
The truth is that he is afraid of the idea of beeing off meds. And he projects all this on me. And this is exactly what I told to the doc. But he just interpreted it as he wanted.
I'm just confused....

Reading this thread: