Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,536 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Anyone take Cymbalta and when did it start working for you

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bella, i really hope this works for you - if not, there are other drugs. i found out something yesterday when i saw my "shrink", that i did not know, in fact i asked him about cymbalta and the snri. i take lexapro which kicked in right away and helped a great deal with the crying and clinging to my pillows. lexapro is an ssri. i asked him, hey, how come no n for me? i guess there are 3 chemicals involved - seratonin, neopenephrine (?) and dopamine. i told him i loved the lexapro but was pooped - so instead of switching he added wellbutrin to the mix. i'm down to 10mg lexapro with 150 mg of wellbutrin 2x a day. lexapro is the seratonin and the wellbutrin effects the other 2, so my bases are now loaded!!! he says wellbutrin is energizing - good! so see, it is trial and error, but don't give up trying to feel better - you have 2 kids that need you - right? research and take list of questions to doctor so you don't forget anything while under the gun. i got lucky with mine, he is a sweetheart. plus, the ssri messes with your sex life - he assures me adding the wellbutrin will alleviate that. as i was leaving his office, he grabbed my hand and asked me if my husband was being patient and helpful! if not, he would have a talk with him! hang in there bella
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bella.

I have been on Effexor for a while now... I had to work up to my dose for 4 weeks and wait anothe 8 weeks for it to work properly! 12 weeks.  And to top it off the stuff makes me sleeply so I have to take it between 6 and 9 pm !  Heaven forbid I forget a pill because I get SICK!

And now 2 years after all this misery, this stuff has made me sick again.  THe Effexor started making me cycle rapidly, make my Bipolar Diorder become unstable so I needed to add another med!

So Bella,
I know the first few months of a new medication is tough and everything seems to be against you.  But hang in there.  Even if it is forced, do the right things most of the time and keep your doctor informed.

15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I talked to my doctor today and they think I'm on the cusp of feeling the cymbalta work.  Since its been 7 weeks and only 2 weeks on the 60mg they want me to give it more time.

I prayer Im on that cusp she talked about.
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey,

I do not take Cymbalta or any SNRIs but I did look itup and usually it should work within 4 weeks. but sometimes it takes longer. You also have to take into account dosage. some people need less and others need more. I would talk to your doctor. Also, pharmacists are really good at answering questions!
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bella,

It is always best to talk to your doctor and pharmacist regarding medications.  You can also do a search within the site to see what other members have experienced.

Hope this helps.

Josie, Health Educator
I have an appointment next week.  I am not sure what is going on with this medicine but I know I have felt better in the past and right now its a struggle.

My husband works and has to leave early in the morning and then its a day to day struggle for me to function.  I have to get my kids ready and then try to get myself ready.  I thought by now I should be feeling better not reaching for anxiety medicine every day.

I struggle with appetite anyways and now I have none.  I also smoke so I know that doesnt help me at all but its not in the cards to quit right now.  In the past year I was on effexor and that killed my appetite too and just made me feel numb after a while.

When you feel like this how are you suppose to exercise and eat right - when everthing just seems so forced.  I just have to keep getting through my day and hope the cymbalta is going to kick in.

Thanks for your reply - I don't have many friends to rely on or talk to about this.  I started going to a therapist a year ago and its helped a little.  I believe I have more than just anxiety going on now.  When the fall hits - it is incredibly hard for me.
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi bella, it's a snri, right. it's pretty new but still 7 weeks is way too long, it should have kicked in weeks ago if it was going to. i'd call your doctor asap and let him/her know. do you have fibromyalga? did doctor explain different meds to you? do you have a diagnosis? you need more info.......good luck  i take lexapro and felt it within a week
I have been on Cymbalta for 5 weeks at 30mg and the last 2 weeks at 60mg.  I am still not feeling any better - even a bit worse with no appetite.  Has anyone else been on Cymbalta and got relief from their depression systems after 7 weeks?  Could I very well be on the cusp of feeling better - just don't know if I should stay on it or not.  Appreciate anyones answers.

Reading this thread: