Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Omega-3

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the reply guys!
I started taking the Omaga-3 with my doctor's advice!
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree and my doctor agreed about the statins the effects on me and the need to try the Omega-3's.  I failed to mention that point.  I always check with my doctor before taking any OTC meds for anything including vitamins and supplements.  I thought I should add to my previous post as Brenna pointed it out!

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,   Make sure you are always checking with your doctor and/or pharmacist before you add any medications or vitamins to your daily regime.  

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
I had high cholesterol for years and was taking statin drugs - there's a wealth of information out there on the dangers of statins and I won't get off on my tangent (opinion) here.  However, I quit taking statin drugs and starting taking Omega-3 Fish Oil.  There is a prescription Brand in the US and after I became depressed it was prescribed for me to help with cholesterol but also to help with mood stabilization.  I beleive it is marketed here under Omacor and again is FDA approved for treatment of cholesterol not mood stabilization, etc.

I think this is very useful treatment for my depression and augments my other medication for depression.

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,   Omega 3 supplementation is definitely indicated in treating mood disorders and depression. It assists in the cognitive function of the brain and in the formation of important brain chemicals and neurotransmitters.   Omega 3 sources include cold-water fish (salmon, mackerel, herring) and fish oil but are also available in flax seeds ( and oil), walnuts, and other seeds and nuts. You can find these in supplement form at any health food store in both softgel capsules or liquid also. Taking 1000mg per day is the daily recommendation. Omega 3's also assist with inflammation, cholesterol problems and other hormonal issues.   Hope that helps. Good luck!     Faryal, Health Educator
Hi Diva,

My questions were meant to you of course - sorry!

Hi Rosie,

Sorry to ask but I don't understand fully.. Do you need information on how much Omega 3 helps in depression? or just anything about Omega 3?

Two of my family members take that regularly - actually not for depression - they are not depressed. They take it for other reasons but both of them had the cholesterol-value get reduced with Omega3 which is very good. Both had the value above the "normal" level previously, but now within the OK range.

Omega 3's are not only in fish, but in walnut and some other nuts as far as I know...
Do you need any inputs on how they affect depression?

My doctor recommended I take Omega-3 and 6 because it is known to help with depression. I take 3 tablets (huge things) twice a day. Each tablet has 200mg Omega-3 and 500mg Omega-6. I am not really sure if it is helping (taking Zyban and had alot of therapy) but I do feel a bit better. Seems like a good idea to try something natural on the side anyway....

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva,   Great question for the boards!   Not only can Omega-3 help with depression, but it can help prevent heart disease and stimulates blood circulation.   Have other members had experience taking Omega-3 capsules?     Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been prescribed some high dosages of Omega-3 to help with this. It is a kind of food supplement that comes from fish oil among other things. It seems to be good for depression. It seems there are special Omega-3 capsules that are good specifically for mood! I cannot take SSRIs. I am allergic to some of them and the doctor won<t risk trying the others which I agree with. I find other older antidepressants have too many side effects. So I decided with the doc to try and more food supplement oriented route.

Btw, for those allergic to fish, omega-3 is not an option. also, if you have seafood allergies be careful, some Omega-3 are fish oil others are shellfish oil...

Anyway, I am rambling. I wanted to ask if anyone had tried this or heard of this. I read a few things about it but I must admit I know no one with a first hand account to share with me. Thanks!

Reading this thread: