Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Using your Values as your Compass

11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
great tips Ashley... thanks!
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds good.

Remember though that exercise doesn't have to be a scheduled regime. Any physical activity you can work in throughout the day will give you more energy and help you feel better. A little dance around the house to your favoute song, a stroll over to the window when sitting at the computer now and again, a few muscle exercises while watching TV, running around in the house with your dogs for a few minutes, etc. Find physical activities you enjoy and try to work them in more often. 

I for one HATE the gym but I have lots of friend who love it. I try to include a lot of walking ,video exercises (p90x) and fun physical activity instead of going to the gym or following a set routine. Find what you like and keep working at it.

Ashley, Health Educator
I get up at 4:30 am to have my coffee and quiet time.  If I go out that early it starts the whole neighborhood a barking.  I have set 10:00 as my time to walk with the dogs.  I usually have a sinking spell about that time and drink lots of coffee to perk up.  This week I'm trying to hold off on the coffee until after I walk and have plenty of water.  I've only been at it a few days... so we shall see.  I'm starting slow... just 20 min. for now as the dogs and I are really out of shape.

Oh... your question was how my day would look if I took a walk first thing in the morning.   It would be really noisy and off balance  but I do get your point and am working out the best timing for all.  I kind of like my slow mornings now that I'm "retired" ... which is much more pleasant than being alwaystired.  
Fantastic ~m!

It is certainly not a lame example. For many depressed individuals just getting out of bed is an accomplishment. Please feel accomplished by these tasks like doing the dishes. Remember compare your achievements to yourself and not others.

Getting stuck is very common. Yeesh I get stuck quit a bit myself! You handled it very well. Negotiate with yourself to do a task for only 5 minutes and start there. Normally you will find that once you get started the task seems much easier. Just getting started is the tough part.

Physical activity early in your day may help get your blood flowing and brain moving. How do you think your day would look if right when you woke up you took a 15 minute walk?

Ashley, Health Educator
How can I get started moving towards finding solutions?  By moving towards finding solutions. The key element being MOVING.  Doing instead of waiting for motivation to inspire.  Ashley's post reminded me that I value accomplishment activities and enjoyable activities equally, so.....

I made myself face a week's worth of dishes in the kitchen sink.  Doing them all seemed impossible.  Doing half?  No way.  Just the silverware? No.  I can't.  I can't.  I can't.  What CAN I do?   Finally decided I could at least give 5 min. to put away the already clean dishes.  One 5 minute increment turned into several (with several breaks to read as well).  I finished the dishes and read one chapter in a new book.

This probably sounds like a lame example to those that have real jobs to attend to, but this is how badly stuck I'd become.   Doing this simple task has me moving.  It really is so much easier to steer a moving vehicle than one which is stopped dead in it's tracks! 

Does anyone else get stuck like this? 
Hi ~m,

It sounds like depression is preventing you from leading a life you normally would have. Not wanting to do the things you used to want to do is a sign to pay attention to. Now is a good time to focus on program strategies specifically trying to schedule pleasant activities could be helpful.

It is certainly not wrong to want more and it is never too late.  There are ways to find fulfillment - knowing what gives you fulfillment is the first step - then finding ways to honor your values more often in your life leads you to a more fulfilling life.

So it sounds like you need to stop putting limitations on your self and start moving towards finding solutions. How can you get started?

Ashley, Health Educator
I have lost my way and I don't know what I want to do with myself.  I've always been so busy.  I've never been bored a day in my life... until recently.  I have no energy for anything... not accomplishment activities nor fun activities.  For the first time in my life I'm not reading 4 books at once.  I'm not even reading one book.  I can't draw or write or even cook or clean.  

I feel lost.  But reading these notes about values really resonates somehow and makes me want to do more than just manage... make it through... survive.  Is it wrong to want more?  Is it too late to want more?

Not all is negative as I did take the dogs for a walk this morning.  Major accomplishment for me right now... enjoyable too.  Except that all these questions started popping up during the walk. No rest for the weary :o) 

Sometimes we can lose our way. Sometimes we get so caught up in what we need to do and forget about what we want to do. If we stay like this for too long we may start to feel unsatisfied with life. Leading a life that you value and that gives you fulfillment is important to your health and well being. When you feel fulfilled you are happier, more confident and more productive. For the next while we will be talking about values; how to figure out what you value and then direct your life towards those values.

The first step is having a good understanding of what you value. So, what do you value? Not what you think you should value or what your family or society values; what you value. What gives you fulfillment? Some examples of values are: Family, Helping people, Art, Success, Animals, Being Active, Spirituality and Nature.  What are some others you can think of?

Write them down here and we will work through it together
Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: