Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Depression Does Not Come Alone

11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now I see that I was too focused on my anxiety symptoms. As you many know this feeds the anxiety cycle.

Today and looking to the facts (according to the DSM) I do not meet criteria for any anxiety disorder. Of course I still have some stresses now and then but who doesn't?
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Things already start feeling a little better.

I am distracting myself with activities, doing meditation everyday, doing some exercise (running) and using the my new worry challenge worksheet to deal with my worries.

If I keep like this I think I will not need additional medication to deal with anxiety.

12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes... you are inspiring Eleveno... with your dedication toward getting yourself well and keeping it that way.  Thanks so much for sharing your process.  You not only help yourself this way but are helping the rest of us as well. 
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi eleveno, 

Thanks for sharing your worry challenge worksheet.  This will be helpful to many members here!
Vincenza, Health Educator
Hi ~m,

I already changed to my zen avatar .

Yesterday was my last day of vacation. The problem was that on the last 2 days I spend most of the time at home with plenty of time to worry. During my short vacation I didn't do any relaxation activities and I missed them.

I am confident that I will get better soon. The trick is to get distracted and as soon as I have a worry I can use my new worry challenge worksheet. Now I feel more in control and I hope this will help with my anxiety. If not I have to consult my doctor to seek additional help.

Take care
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whoa eleveno... aren't you supposed to be on vacation?  This is an admirable piece of work, but ... gosh... I'm sorry you couldn't allow yourself some total down time during your vacation.  I guess that is what worry does to us.  Makes it hard to relax.  Are you doing any of the meditation exercises?  I miss your zen rocks... they were calming to look at.  Take care.  Be gentle with yourself... 
The technique of doing nothing to deal with my worries didn't work also. Before going to my doctor I want to try one more CBT technique that I just have created: a new worksheet for challenging worries. I create this worksheet based on the following fonts: Dealing with worry: A self help guide from the NHS Borders in Scotland and Anxiety & Solving Problems from the Sutherlan Division of General Practice in Australia.

MY NEW WORRY CHALLENGE WORKSHEET

The purpose is to do an worksheet for each worry that I have.

STEP 1 - What am I worrying about? Answer and go to STEP 2.

STEP 2 - Is the thing I am worrying about important? (Tip: I can use the 5 year rule, the measuring rod or the calculator to help answer this question, see below). If YES go to STEP 3, if NO go to STEP 5.

STEP 3 - Is there anything I can do about this? (Tip: If the thing I am worrying about is unlikely, uncertain or uncontrollable then I can’t do anything about it, see below). If YES go to STEP 4, if NO go to STEP 5.
STEP 4 – What could I do to solve my problem? (Tip: List all the possible solutions, choose two or three ideas and work out the advantages and disadvantages of each, choose a solution, make a plan, decide when to review the plan). Answer and go to STEP 6.

STEP 5 – What could be an alternative and positive thought for this situation? Answer and go to STEP 6.

STEP 6 – Do I have any more worries? If YES start a new worksheet, if NO go to STEP 7.

STEP 7 – Distract myself. (Tip: I can do a task, a mental game, focus on my surroundings, exercise, use relaxation strategies or seek social support).

HELP:

- The 5 year rule: Ask yourself "will this matter in 5 years time?" This is a way of looking at your worry from a long-term point of view. View your worries in different ways: will this still be a concern in a week, a month, a year?

- The measuring rod: Ask yourself: "Where, on a scale of bad experiences, is the thing I’m worried about?" Think about a very bad experience you have had. How does your current worry feel when compared with this.

- The calculator: Ask yourself. "How much worry is this worth?" We only have a certain amount of time and energy. Make sure you do not spend more worry on your problem than it is worth. You need your time and energy for more important things. Maybe some time you would.

- The Unlikely: A lot of worries ask "What if…" questions. All kinds of terrible things could happen today or tomorrow but most things are very unlikely. If you allow yourself to worry about the unlikely then there will be no end to your worrying. Tackling existing problems is hard enough. Do not waste time, energy and happiness on problems that do not exist.

- The Uncertain: Often we do not know how something will turn out. Many things we worry about have not yet happened and we can only take action once we know what has happened. For example, worrying that you may have failed a test or exam is not going to improve the results. It is only once the results are released that you can decide what, if anything, needs to be done.

- The Uncontrollable: We have no control over many of the things we worry about. For example, worrying that you are getting older does not change the fact that in a day’s time you will be a day older. This will be the case even if you worry as hard as you can.
Hi Vincenza,

My vacation is going fine. Thanks for asking. During the last days I did some traveling but now I am at home chilling out for more 2 days. Thursday I will start working again.

Because I am already doing CBT activities for depression I don't think that adding more CBT activities for anxiety (worry) would be productive at this moment. Moreover the CBT activities that I am doing for depression also help with worry. Maybe If I had a panic disorder, PSTD or OCD the story would be different and I would need more CBT activities for dealing with these issues.

When I decided that the best course was doing nothing I immediately felt a big relief. I was literally worrying about finding the perfect CBT plan to attack my worries. It was like removing a burden from my shoulders.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi eleveno,

How is your vacation going?  Have you been able to relax more since 'letting go' or realizing that a more practical solution for you is to simply be and do nothing?  I hope so!  Please keep us posted!
After 4 days I can say that the "Worry-Time" technique didn't work. It seems the most I don't want to worry the most I worry. I even ended with headaches for trying not to worry.

I have used the problem solving worksheet to find a reasonable solution for my anxiety problem and I found that the most practical solution is DOING NOTHING. Of course I will keep working on my relapse prevention plan for depression but I will not do anything to control my anxiety. Relaxation is not something I can make it happen, it just happens.

I imagine my therapist will celebrate this since he wanted me to stop doing CBT activities for anxiety but I have to arrive at this conclusion on my own.

Reading this thread: