Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Problems with Avoidance

13 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Echoing what Ashley said, when depressed I often say to my closest friends, okay, just force me to go out. And then I make a rule, don't say No to any opportunity to socialize. It helps us heal faster.
13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I don't go out in the evenings anymore especially when I know the the neighbours are out.  I used to go out and talk to them and my kids will play with their kids.  I avoid going out in the evenings at all costs.  Part of it, it is because I feel awful about myself.  I also have put on weight since.  I don't feel good about myself anymore.  I feel "they" are looking at me because I am fat.  I don't feel worthy.

M.

13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have this issue to a degree...the anxiety...
It hasn't always been there - but definitely over the past handful of years.  It's affected my life pretty much as you've laid out...I avoid things, social activities, etc. and it definitely creates space between myself and others (neighbors, friends, family, coworkers, and so on).

I'm not sure where this arose from or when or why....but when I think about it it's pretty horrible...I used to be really outgoing, always out and about and hanging out with friends and now it seems like I'd rather just avoid their phone calls than I would talk to them or god forbid actually hang out with them....
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

When we avoid things due to anxiety, we miss out. As you probably already know, escaping the situation you find yourself in when you have a panic attacks can lead to problems.

•    Problem 3: The more you avoid, the less you’re able to lead a full, happy and productive life. As a result of escaping and avoiding, you don’t get to do a lot of things other people get to enjoy such as, going out with friends, driving, going to a movie or going away of vacation.
•    Problem 4: When people aren’t able to enjoy life because of avoidance, they beat themselves up. People with panic or anxiety usually say escaping makes them feel better in the short-term but worse in the long-term. The end result is negative thoughts about themselves, the world and the future. This can lead to depression.

How has anxiety impacted your life?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: