Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Positive Thinking

13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pete,

The Secret comes in many forms I believe it has been a book, a cd collection and also a movie.   There is a wikipedia definition if you are interested.  I think they had a good concept, but for me personally they took it way to far, but it has helped many people supposedly so it can't be all bad.  

Just my opinion

STacy

13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As greg_c says, positivity creates more of itself as does negativity. If I feel positive, great. If not, I can't create it. It all depends on the reality of my situation at any particular time.

I don't know 'The Secret' - is it an American TV show or something? - but I do know that forced positive thinking, like affirmations, slogans, visualisation etc. is totally useless as far as I am concerned, and only serves to deepen a depressed mood.
13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to say, I'm with Stacy on this. Sure, being positive is a good thing - it makes the people around you happier, which naturally means you'll feel happier. And the reverse is true - always being negative will drag down everyone around you. It's a matter of feedback.

But that's all there is, it's not magic. So if by positive thinking you mean the simple idea of positive feedback, then sure, it's great. If you mean some mystical  mumbo jumbo like in The Secret, then no, its not for me, thanks.

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for sharing with us, you make some good points about recognizing our emotions positive and negative. However, it is important to learn how to identify cognitive distortions and negative thoughts when they are inaccurate. Inaccurate thoughts or distorted negative thoughts are also knows as cognitive distortions. Session 5 is a great resource for learning how to challenge thoughts, take a read through this session and let us know what parts of it you find helpful.

Members, what are your thoughts on the powers of positive thinking?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jason,

I am kind of torn about the powers of positive thinking.   I literally have spent my entire life I guess you could say, ignoring negative emotion.   I felt tears were a waste of time, if you could do something about a situation you did and if you couldn't you let it go.   No matter what adversity I had been faced with I looked at the bright side of the situation. With this technique for dealing with life I managed to make it through a lot of bad stuff, well at least until recently (April 2009) when I was diagnosed with depression.

I have watched most of The Secret and honestly felt it quite ridiculous, I don't believe that if you think and imagine yourself dating several people or getting married that these things will suddenly fall into your lap.

I dunno I guess I am rambling, but what I am attempting to say is if you are a positive person you will be more likely to project that to others and they will respond positively, but at the same time sometimes bad things happen and you have to deal with it properly and let emotion run its normal course or it can have a negative impact on your self.

Stacy
13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Positive thinking can be a very powerful tool to use in everyday life. Those who use positive thinking are more likely to anticipate happiness, joy and a successful outcome to every situation.  Some say that whatever the mind expects, it finds.

Members, what are your thoughts on the powers of positive thinking?

Reading this thread: