Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Expressing yourself creatively

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Furgitit,
I agree with Wildcat, that you are creative. Creative problem solving! And wow, see you did better than the manual! Good on you!

Hey wildcat, 
What you said about using part of our brains that is not hard wired into the negative when we create, I beleive that to be true too! 

Hey Dragonfly,
Wow selling your crafts and arts at the market, awesome!

As for me,
Lately, I am trying to learn the piano. I am still stuck at "this old man"... I am thinking of trying to write a book, but my doubts are plaguing me so it is a start and stop process still. I don't know how to really unblock. But when I do manage to get going, it feels good.
15 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to dissillusion you Wildcat, I take my manual with me and I know which parts are interchangeable (or ask) with my van and my hubby's truck.  Kind of a no-brainer.  The creative part I guess would be figuring out how to get the parts in and out without destroying anything in between and doing it with minimum effort or exertion.  So creative yes, I guess so, how many people would have thought that instead of loosening the tensioner pulley (which is how they tell you to do it in the manual) to just use a piece a 1 X 4 and pry the alternator in place (the tensioner is in a hard to reach spot).  OK OK creative a little.
Thanks Wildcat.
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well how about when you are rummaging through the scrap yard trying to figure out if something will fit your vehicle or not? Do you judge yourself and your capacities??  Do you have a puzzle in from of you that you must work through; judging the piece as road worthy and of the right size and shape for your needs??? well cutting a piece of tile, a piece of paper, or a piece of machinery is all creative problem solving! 

It is not looking up your piece in the UAP catalogue and installing it from specs!  So give your self some credit !!! okay!
15 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think I have creative energy, at least none that are positive, baking and cooking end up making you fat so that isn't positive.  The food doesn't look all pretty like the restaurants but tastes 100 times better.  I can't draw, paint, scrap book, write or do anything considered creative, artsy or fartsy (my sister does and she is awesome at all of this stuff) so I am not sure what creative energies are.  My sister does artsy fartsy, I do reality, black and white, math, spelling, certainties and clean.  My sister has an imagination, I deal with reality.  My sister runs and hides from problems, I want to, but can't, too many problems not enough room to run.
I don't think oh that would go well, I think, it will take me x amount of minutes to get this done, then x amount of hours to do this other stuff, then oops no time to do something that doesn't result in maximum achievement for maximum people. 
Energy just doesn't equate, there is none.
Sorry guys.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think so!
Members...what do you think? Are we using positive energies and thoughts when we are applying our creative energies?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
I think that the arts require we exercise a part of our brain that is not hot-wired into all the negative thinking that our "logic" is tied into... so regardless if we write a little joke, or doodle a geometric pattern on a scratck pad we are using some Positive part of us ?!?
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds great dragonfly  Good for you for trying something new, and sticking with it. It is quite amazing that you are able to sell your art work at local craft stores...that is incredible
Keep up the amazing work!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Several years ago, my counsellor suggested I try taking class in something I'd always wanted to try.  So I signed up for a folk art painting class at a local Michael's even though I didn't think I'd be able to complete the project or have the finished picture look anything like the sample.  But, to my surprise, I did finish it, it looked good, and I really enjoyed the class. 

I continued doing folk art for a while, then decided I wanted to learn one stroke painting.  I signed up for a set of classes and now I paint flowers on wine glasses, mugs, plates, glasses amd pitchers and have even started selling them at local craft sales. 

When I paint all my issues fade away and I end up feeling much better.

Some other creative outlets I use are scrapbooking, writing poetry or taking nature pictures.

15 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great ideas wildcat!  I love the idea about the mosaic's.  I heard you can even make interesting table tops with broken tile pieces.  That would be an interesting project.  Do you find crafting to be relaxing? Anyone else enjoy arts and crafts on their spare time?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi,
I enjoy trying a bunch of things I find all over... Omer Desserres, and now Zellers, has all sorts of craft projects on special to try.  THe chain of Dollar stores have inexpensif items to experiment with as do garage sales and church bazars.

You know even a ride to the grocery store on garbage nite is a time to discover raw materials... boards to paint, patio chairs to weave, wooden furniture that needs a bit of restoring, Broken tiles that can make a lovely mosaic Bistro-table-top.

Now to find the energy to do this all...

Reading this thread: