Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

Consequences of Stress

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am really bad at dealing with stress. I am diagnosed with anxiety disorders... But I find daily walks help. Music and movies and reading. Yoga can be helpful. 
15 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Stress - yikes!  One of my first clues that I'm feeling stressed is when I notice my shoulders are hunched up around my ears.  That and the fact that I'm clenching my teeth.  I can also suffer headaches, upset stomach and not sleeping well.

What I use to help decrease the stress varies with what symptom(s) I'm feeling.  For the tension in my jaw and shoulders, I'll go for a massage.  If I find myself having difficulty coping with a situation, I'll take myself off to a quiet place and listen to my mindful meditation CD.  This usually helps me calm down enough to go back and finish whatever it is I was working on.  When I'm having trouble sleeping, I use relaxation or guided meditation CD's to try and relax enough to sleep.

Hope these suggestions will help someone else too. 

15 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so glad that we are now going to work on the issue of stress.  I think stress is a real killer.  I have some serious health problems both phycially and emotionally caused  by this killer and my lack of  learning to handle stress in a effective and positive way.   Walking does help me some.  Reading is a good relaxer and so is watching a movie.  Sometimes I get so stressed out that I can not think clearly enough to do anything which leads to anger, anxiety, and then ends with depression and my phycial health going down the tolite.  It is a vicious cycle without a happy ending.  I really am look forward to learning some new ways of handling stress that are not self destructive.  Anyone have any ideas out there please let me know.

Thanks,
Leslie

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

How do you manage stress? What strategies work for you?
Do you take time out to relax? Do you de-stress once you get home? Deep breathing? Yoga?
Please share what works for you

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi ashley.

I know that I do not manage stress well. I panic and cannot judge what is a top priority and what is frivolous.  And sometimes I turn in circles looking for answers that just do not exist (I work in accounting with an out dated system)...

So I get the tension in the shoulders from the poor posture ... I 'pour over' my paper and my computer screen.  And it leads to headachs.
I usually indulge in high stimulant foods that reak havok with my digestion - from the end of the esophsgus to the instestines- and that will even touch off a mood episode!!!   those energy drinks are toxic!  but the high fat fast food I swallow put me in a nasty craving cycle as well !...

Depression I would think is the power faileur.  THe short curcuit that brings everything to an end and plls me out of a stiuation that is impossible for me. 
15 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

We’ve talked about anger, stress and disputes. We will now be discussing specific stress management strategies in a variety of settings & contexts.

Learning stress management skills is part of having a healthy lifestyle. It is just as important as learning how to eat well.  Exposure to stress over long periods of time has been linked to the development of:

• Frequent headaches
• Upset stomach
• Diarrhea or constipation
• Lowered immune system
• Disturbed sleeping patterns
• High blood sugar
• High blood pressure
• Increased cholesterol

Does this sound familiar to anyone? How do you feel or know when your stressed? How did depression come into play here?
Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: