Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,538 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Holiday Stress

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy! you are one hell of a therapist! can you clone yourself and send one down my way - lol. you gotta love that grinch. one of the gifts to the kids was me burning dvds like a maniac. i found all the good cartoons and movies and burned them all 5 discs. grinch, rudolph, garfield, tons of them. the scrooge w/alister sim brings me to my knees. what a performance! his giddiness is infectious! i love that movie. laugh and cry. what the hell - maybe christmas doesn't come from a store, maybe it means a little bit more!!! my name is really cindy - cindy rose - my husband calls my cindy lou who this time of year. merry christmas everyone!
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom of 3, try some simple things like buying a stick of that pre-made cookie dough and baking cookies, you and your son take them to a nursing home or gobble them up!  Make a greeting card for each other from the internet! Open presents at a different time.   Start a new tradition......hide a dollar on the tree and let your son find out (lol, depending on how old he is may need to be a bigger bill).  Mom of 3, ride around and look at the Christmas lights, go to church on Christmas eve, volunteer at a local place to feed the homeless or elderly.....do something different.....may not cost money, but may make a difference to someone and start a new tradition and make you feel good!  I've started some new traditions and didn't think I was going to - you do it too and let me know how they turn out.  Want to sing the song from Grinch and hoo ville - ya hoo ya hoo.....lol, told you I was singing Chrismtad carols.  Try that!  Have yourself Merry little Christmas - wait, that's a repeat from another post! 

God Bless you and yours in the New Year after a Christmas filled with new traditions.  

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom of 3,

Let's stay positive!  Hope you are taking this special holiday season to enjoy with your children.  Stay strong, you can overcome this!

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

I am glad you are finding new traditions for your holiday celebration and I hope they are things you can carry with you from year to year.  I won't be able to implement such a plan until next year because this year doesn't afford me the benefit of switching any traditions due to my son not knowing what is pending.  Sooo..... we continue in this dysfunctional setting. 
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
uh, I was thinkin' skipping it might be the best answer, but of course at the last minute, I've gotten into a flurry and went and bought gifts (too many) but hey, it's Christmas.  I didn't put up Christmas decorations this year - didn't want to, didn't feel like it, but I have enjoyed riding around looking at lights and have found myself singing Christmas Carols.  Went to church and watch the young children's Christmas presentation - ah, ha, and I went to see Santa Claus too.  So me, the old grinch who stole Christmas ended up like the book, I jumped right in and am enjoying the feast and festivities!  But doing things differently helped to not think about how things have been in previous years or speculate how they will be in years to come. 

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Rose! I needed your post.  Thank you Wildcat for reminding me of things I had forgotten about. 

I have thought about what I wrote here and realize that my son is the one person who deserves a Mom who is into the season.  I finished my shopping and actually wrapped a few things.  This improved my mood.  Your posts improved it even more, Thank You!
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am hoping you are shinning up your sled???

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yes ... do something different and blame it on the kids.

awww, they pestered me so much and I just gave into the spoiled monsters.
Everyone was doing it, so I let them go with their friends this year and I went to supervise...
les enfants rois, they wanted i provided.

Up here we have hills of packed snow that you slide down on a plastic tube, wonderful escape.   With most rivers frozen solid, each municipality has skating long into the night.  And even in the city each bump has a gaggle of kids with a sled flying into the wind...

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yes, you are a christian, use that and give up your problems to god. let him deal with the worst of it. volunteer somehow, go and see some beautiful light displays, even just walking your neighborhood maybe. love yourself, love your son and have a good holiday regardless, let the ball and chain go his way and you and your son have a wonderful holiday! you deserve it - he deserves it - try to relax and please please don't beat yourself up. we need you, too!
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom of 3,   You have mentioned that you are still bound to certain things you wish you could get rid of. Do you feel attached to these things for a particular reason? Are there other people involved that make these things difficult to let go of?   What has changed this year from previous years that make the holidays difficult to enjoy? This time of year can often be stressful so it becomes incredibly important to take part in good self-care and do activities that you enjoy or will help you manage. Does anything come to mind that would help make the holidays more enjoyable for you?

Members, any advice for Mom of 3 on what you find helpful during this time of year?

Sarah, Health Educator

Reading this thread: