Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,481 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

Negative Core Beliefs

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh thanks for all the great insights and info guys!
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the info, and for sharing that with us Goofy and Wildcat

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
hi I would be predominately socio... I would be devasated when fired because of the relationships that would be affected by the change, and those that would be broken.   But I have had the leasure to think about the way I think ...

I see a category as a starting point in self-comprehension.  We need vocabulary and we think in opposites so theories are usualy either or.  People are much more fluid and are a combination of the two categoies but the vocabulary is a point-de-depart.
Sylvie,

From what little I've read (I mean little); I don't think Beck meant these categories to be mutually exclusive.  I think we can have negative core beliefs and as you stated, our disposition  will determine how we handle certain life events.  So I can have negative core beliefs in both areas, autonomous and sociotropic, but the particular event will determine which of set of negative core beliefs are used in response to a particular situation. I may need to work on negative core beliefs about self, world/others and future in both categories: autonomous and sociotropic.

I think a person can have negative core beliefs in both areas but may be predominantly one or the other - though I'd have a tough time figuring out which one is predominant in me.

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not too sure about that one...
From what I have read they are separate personality traits...

Members, any ideas?

I think I challenged my core beliefs by first of all being aware of what they are...identification!  Then I try to figure out how they are effecting me - negative core belief; positive core belief (makes me feel good about me/my life or not). Then I decide if I need to take ownership of the issue or if it really is someone elses issue.  lol, that is as far as I've got, I just started session 4.

Oh, can you be autonomously sociotropic? (serious question).
Goofy

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Challenge them!!!

Try to change the way you view yourself, or the way your view yourself in a certain situation. Challenge your negative thoughts, and challenge your negative core beliefs.

What are some ways that you could challenge these beliefs?

15 years ago 0 142 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
me too
I think I fall into both categories.
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How does one get unstuck from their negative core beliefs?

Reading this thread: