Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Learning to appreciate me for me

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks Strength, for the encouraging words and believing in me.  It's nice to know someone does when we start doubting ourselves. 
I'm sort of on a plateau now.  A year ago this coming Sunday dad died - so I got that grieving thing going on - hopefully when I get through this it is onward and upward - though I'm already dreading the holidays.  However, I'm working on that with the posts on Role transitions.  so maybe that will help get through them with a smile on my face.  I do agree a tent on the 18th sounds nice. 
I do take my bird goggles with me when I canoed. I may buy a kayak as can do that better as a single person.  I taught canoeing so I can do a one person, but the wind comes up and ah oh - lots o' work and I'm getting old.  lol  I've never been in a kayak but would get an open one. 
Sorry to hear about your relationship issues, I hope things are worked out permanently as well.  If you need to sound off, we are willing to listen.  Know we are here for you too.
Thanks again,
14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry to hear that you were spiraling downward goofy. It is a good thing that you recognized it though! It's great to hear that you had that "cathartic" event, you deserve to enjoy yourself and do things that make you happy. You will have to look into potential real-estate on the greens, haha, set up camp on hole 18. Bird-watching is great and you know you really must pursue what you love! Hopefully this spring you can go canoeing, and bring the binoculars along to bird-watch while you canoe! Double-whammy! The spiraled holes can sometimes be very deep, but make on move at a time, and one day at a time. I believe in you. I had a pretty rough weekend, some relationship drama, but all seems well now, let's hope this will remain. 

Strength
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Woohoo Goofy! Quite the successes! Kudos!
Strength, I started spiraling downward, I wish I'd recognized it sooner - but hey, I recognized it.  When I saw the pdoc about a month ago, we discussed augmenting lamictal with another mood stabilizer.  I didn't like that idea after doing much research, called him back and suggested an anti-depressant wellbutrin.  He said no, up the lamictal.  I did and called back last Thursday asking for an emergency appt and with many questions.  I was falling fast.  I had a planned outing this weekend with a bunch of friends at a cabin.  I was supposed to have left Friday before the Dr. Appt. but I prioritized (I wouldn't have went).  anyway, to make a long story short - I made myself go to the outing, I had a good time, though emotionally draining.  I had a cathartic event occur - I played golf, my depression was still there, but I realized that I have been doing things that are rewarding like babysitting my granddaughter, spending time with family and friends, and doing everything I do re: the depression and trying to keep from doing that downward spiral.  The golf experience was phenomenal.  I wish I could live on a golf course, if that meant I could feel that way all the time, the depression pushed to the back - barely acknowledgable, the pain right along with it, the emotions in check without much effort.  I hadn't played in 8 years, I didn't play well at all (lol, forgot to bend at the knees, keep my head down, loose grip, swing through) I didn't care!
I wan't embarassed- I was having my first fun experience post-depression!  Anyway, all good things must come to an end and I went back to the cabin with my friends slowly the "high" of the afternoon, faded to the energy draining mask but I had a good time, laughed and enjoyed being with my friends. 
Now I'm home and I'm emotionally drained but with the hopes that I got at the dr. office and the potential for a new "high" on a golf course in the very near future and if not on a course (dang, the weather) a driving range!  I've  been thinking of buying a canoe (another thing I enjoyed pre-depression); hmmmm (dang, the weather) but I think I'll have one by spring!!!
I still have my bird goggles (binoculars).  I'm thankful for the effort that I put forth to get my butt in the van, with all the junk I was supposed to contribute to the weekend, and the friendships. 
I'm depressed, I got along way to go to get out of this spiraled hole I am in....but as you can see I'm working on it!  I've got to - I hate how I feel today and know I can feel better!
A plan is in definite order. How have you been goofy? I haven't heard too much from you this weekend.

Strength

Strength, Sounds like a plan.  I like mutual support, sharing and caring!
Hey goofy,

Thanks for the post! It's also great to hear what you have learned about yourself. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with me as it has helped me to gain such a positive insight into myself. Stick around and let's keep supporting each other through this.

Strength 

Congrats Strength...so glad you've gained so much positive insight into yourself.
One of the first things I got from here  - is I am not my depression. 
I've learned alot about my resilience as I do keep bouncing back each and every time.
lol, I've learned I can learn more about depression and medication than one should know as a lay person.
I've also learned that I've got many more attributes than I ever thought I had before. 
Now what I wish I could learn is what to do when my get up and go, gets up and goes (the downward depression slide).
I learned I can support other people in their recovery and that it is soooo awesome to have the support of those who understand/feel what I do.  And the anonymity is a wonderful part of that.
I've learned to appreciate other people's successes.  Congratulations on yours.  You never seemed boring and bleak, glad you realized you aren't.
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Strength! That is wonderful woohoo!
14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Strength -

That's brilliant! Appreciating and valuing ourselves is what it's all about.

Reading this thread: