Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

question

14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Lance-- your post helped.  I know I need to be doing more than just taking medicine and posting here, and it helped to hear that it can take time for the meds to kick in, and then energy levels get better so I can take a more active role in my recovery.  That helped take some of the guilt away of not feeling up to much more. 

And thanks too Arizona,

This is a fairly new medication and I've heard it can take awhile.  I haven't had any side effects (except for being very tired, but not sure if that's the med, or the depression).  It's nice to hear from someone else who's taking it, especially since you've been on it for 5 months.  I'll keep an eye out for the mania.  I'm not bipolar, but I know that some meds can trigger mania.  So far sleeping is all I want to do.

And what an eloquent end to your post.  That was beautiful and affirming.  One of the gifts of depression (I believe) is the ability to go deeply into our own psyche and re-evaluate everthing.  Am I on the right path?  Are my relationships working?  Am I living my life or is life living me?  Many important questions that really do change a person forever.  I've really enjoyed Jung's work on depression-- that there is a purpose and a reason for it-- as painful as that might be.  So thanks for reminding me of that.  Thanks for reminding me that this is important work, that we are all worth that work, and that we will be changed for it.

hugs!
Deb

14 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi CVDEB,

I'm not a doctor in any capacity.  However, I am taking Pristiq and have been for about 5 months.  My psychiatrist advised me that it can take about 6 weeks to see a noticeable and sustained effect from Pristiq.  You're lucky to be taking it as it is a newer drug and I am told that it has fewer side effects then the other options.

In my depression I had days that were up and days that were down.  I think it's normal to experience a variance from day-to-day and from moment to moment.

Pristiq really worked for me.  Eventually we upped the dosage from 50mg to 100mg.  I found that I was too susceptible to stressors and this allowed for a significant relapse.  Once we changed my dose everything came together.

One other thing to note, people on Pritiq can be susceptible to mania.  Your doctor and your friends should keep an eye on you as your condition improves.  If you experience mania you will note a significant reduction in sleep required, ie waking totally rested after less than 4 hours sleep, excited and accelerated speech, a higher level of energy than normal etc...  Not something to be worried about but a good thing to be aware of.

Re: getting back to yourself... I believe that depression will forever change you.  The old self no longer exists but there is an opportunity for a new self to emerge, a better self.  Depression changed my life, opened my eyes, and helped me become a more centered person.  I hope it does the same for you.

Best,

A.
14 years ago 0 194 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deb, looks like we share some common challenges. Yep it's me! In my experience with AD's, they take time. Thats the hard part. Usually several weeks. On my last change I too noticed I felt good after a few days, why I dont know as I leveled off too. But I know it does take time, so wasnt discouraged. We need to use the meds to help us get to a point where we can further better ourselves in addition to them. Then it's much better. I'm still struggling as well, but have come a l o n g way since this was a a very bed point. I am very hard on myself, very critical as well. I was a major perfectionist and a people pleaser and all this caused me to ruin my life and hurt those I loved. I also have the bipolar going on as well as panic disorder. One reason I quit smoking and made many other lifestyle etc. changes. Ive tried all I could find to do. All seemed finr untol my first panic attack 8 years ago, then life started falling apart. Ive been on most of the SSRI meds, now Ive tried a phsycoactive AD which sucked now back on Effexor XR. So, up the hill I go. Keep us posted.
Hi Ashley,

Pristiq can take anywhere from 3 days to two months .  I did notice a small change around the 3rd day (a bit more energy), but since then, it seems to have leveled off.  I know it's working on some level-- I'm just trying to be patient and hope that it gradually builds to a level that works for me.

Thanks Goofy!  Your post was very helpful.  I need to be doing more and I know it.  So far I've just gone to the doc's and gotten the prescription, and joined here.  That seemed to be all I can handle at the moment.  I'm on session 2, and contemplating working it is overwhelming.  Everything feels overwhelming.  I finally forced myself out of bed at 11am, but honestly could have stayed there all day.  I'm scheduled to go back to work tomorrow and I'm worried about my ability to make it through the day.  I know what you mean about being use to being a person who gets a heck of a lot done, and now I pull out my cheerleader outfit when I brush my teeth.

I feel so desperate to get better.

Thanks to you both for writing back.
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cvdeb (Ashley, you know I've always got something to say, lol),

Reiterating what Ashley said, some medications take longer to get the full effect than others.  I'm not familiar with the one you are taking. 

I've been dx with MDD (refractory) since 2004, I spent the first two years in bed.  I was having difficulty before that going to a gp getting meds, saying aw, I don't need this, then doing okay and then downward slide again and back to gp.  the gp waltz, I guess.  then I crashed and burned and ended up at a psychiatrist.  That was in 2004.  As a result of my depression, I retired on disability through my employer

I work now part-time as a treatment for my depression, I spend many hours a day doing things specifically to help my depression.  Come here daily is one of them and post often (as indicated above) and do the sessions.  I've not had a day yet where I felt like my old self.  I have had good days and some very good days.  When I go backwards, I don't seem to go as far down as I did (thank goodness).  I just went through a rough 14 days and am still climbing out of the slump with very very high anxiety.  I think I got overwhelmed with things going on in my life right now.  However, it was nothing compared to what was going on in my life pre-depression.  It used to be the more I had to do the more it seemed I could accomplish, now just a few things going on outside the norm and I'm caputz.

I hope this helps give you a different perspective on things. 
Medications help alot, that is a very important part of my treatment along with therapy, CBT (here), meditation, journaling, exercise, tai chi.  You can read a post on exercise that Diva (another woman on here and I started and join us if you want to)  I am not too good at being consistent.  I have difficulty with focus, concentration, decision-making, memory and my family helps make sure I stay on track with taking care of business (bills, etc). 

I think having good days and bad days are part of it.  As long as the bad days aren't as bad as the worst day, we are getting better. 

I've not re-read this - hope it makes sense.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cvdeb,

I am interested in hearing other member's have to say.

Have you talked to you doctor about your medication and how long it would take to notice a change?

Did you notice anything different about your behaviour or thinking during these days?  Be sure to use your mood diary to track your thoughts.  Keep working on the program and it will help explain to you how to identify cognitive distortions.

Ashley, Health Educator
 Hi Everyone :)

I know (logically anyway), that MDD is an illness.  At the same time, it feels like it's something I should snap out of.  I also know (again logically), that it takes a long time to go through the recovery process.

I'm on my 13th day on Pristiq, and I do notice that I have more energy, but my mood isn't improving yet-- except for yesterday.  Yesterday I woke up and felt like my old self.  I had plenty of energy, felt happy, cleaned the whole house, and had a couple of dinner guests over.  Today, I feel right back where I was when I was diagnosed.  I had a great deal of difficulty getting out of bed, have zero motivation to do anything, am very tired, and have a bit of a sucky attitude.

To not feel completely defeated, I had to remind myself that I'm dealing with an illness and that I'll have good days and bad as I move through my recovery.  But I'm not sure if I'm buying it. 

Have others found this to be true for their own recovery?  That weirdly, you have a healthy day, and the next you feel emotionally/physically crippled?  It's disheartening.  I just wanted to check in with everyone else about their experience with this.
deb

Reading this thread: