Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Derealization

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara

We are not born with this, it is not inherited. We put it there and we can undo it by breaking the pathway that causes it. It starts with one change. That change can be the trigger. That won't work in your case because your trigger is fear. You can't move away. Working down the line the next thing is the thought that calls up the code that causes the reaction. This you can change by consciously thinking something that is not attached to that code. In doing that every thought attached to that code sits dormant and will not happen. The third option is to change the thoughts attached to the code thought that the trigger calls up. This is slower but more permanent because in doing that it doesn't matter if the trigger is attached to a negative thought code it opens up positive symptoms. This one is cognitive and requires thinking positive 24/7. The second solution is using distractions and coping skills to keep the trigger from reaching the thought code that causes the symptoms. This is behavioural. Put the last two together and you have Cognitive behavioural therapy. No matter what you do for your anxiety it will fit under one of these. Be it yoga, meditation, relaxation, distractions etc or positive thought. There are more behavioural techniques than Cognitive. 

Okay, this is mechanics, this is how it works and I don't think that is going to do you any good. You need someone telling you what to do for every situation that causes anxiety. Step by step. And you would need blind faith to do that because if you don't understand the mechanics you can't understand why it works. The point is that CBT works and if you do it consistently it works without knowing why. Compare anxiety to having a bath. Basically you need a tub and water and soap. Take any one away and you can not have a bath. Take all three away and you definitely can not. Anxiety is the same. take away anything in the chain of events or all of them and you can't have anxiety and since DR/DP, are your symptoms and they do not exist without anxiety they will go away. Keep the chain broke and they will never ever come back. Ever. Unless you bring them back. You are the key. 

Therapists usually start out with two one hour sessions a week and give you homework to do and ask each session if you did it and what your reaction is. They will also tell you if you are thinking negative. Therapists have a code of ethics, you can tell them anything and they can not repeat it. I have the same ethics even though I am not a therapist. I have done this more than once by Email. Usually with good results. Usually all a person needs is an explanation in plain language. The program has all the work sheets, I don't have that, all I have is explanations. And more important what not to do. That one isn't a very big list.

Davit

I'm not supposed to say this, but it can go away and never come back again or if it does it will be so weak it will be no more problem spilling your coffee. You have to have faith that this is so. 
9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When. I worry or stress too much this brings it on. This is my number one symptoms and it is the scariest. 

This is when I know I'm at the highest level of my anxiety... How can it go away for good. I don't like the feeling 
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cara423,

Derealization and Depersonalization can be symptoms of anxiety. They normally occur when an individual crosses over their level of tolerance for anxiety. Once you are able to increase your tolerance for anxiety the symptoms will natually subside. Working on the CBT program here and learning more coping strategies will be a big help.

What normally triggers these sensations for you? How do you stop the sensations when they start?
 It sounds like being ok with the sensation is one way that works for you. What else do you think might work for you?

Ashley, Health Educator
Welcome cottage

I don't understand, you just did?

Do you want to put on something new?

Click on forums, click on the area you want. Click on start a new discussion.

Davit
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How do I post on this discussion group ????
Thanks Davit. I'm determined to be 98% cured. The main thing I just finally accepted that this is just anxiety, not something else. I've been hanging on to "it has to be other than anxiety, it's so scary and real". But since my last episode I realized they don't last they're just scary. Maybe acceptance is the key. I'm going to try this now and I'll let you know how it goes.
Cara

Studies kind of mirror my experience. Which is that if you accept it as being the same as any other symptom (they are not, they are scarier than the other symptoms) that they go away with the anxiety. 
I talk a lot about changing thought patterns. Like changing worry to concern. That works. When the symptoms happen accept them and look closely at them so you know exactly what you are dealing with (mindfulness) Compare the symptoms to something harmless you know. I usually use astronauts being weightless because that is my biggest symptom. I think of myself in the shuttle (distraction) It becomes an interesting feeling. Of course you realize it is easier for me because My cognitive skills are so advanced from years of using them.
The main thing is that everyone that knows anything says it can not happen on it's own, it has to be attached to anxiety. I feel this way too. It happens between anxiety and anxiety becoming panic. 

Don't laugh at this but treat it like diarrhoea. A nuisance that will pass and you can't go anywhere or do anything till it does, but it will and then it will be gone till next time and next time may never come but if it does well it will be temporary. This is acceptance which helps with the anxiety lessening the chance of it happening again.

You are early into your recovery, never fear, you will get over this, I did and I am nothing special other than determined.

Davit
Thanks Davit, I don't get these alot but when they do I get so scared of them.

Mine are pre panic also or during panic.... it really only happens when I'm into my head alot and thinking way to much about what is happening and why its happening?  These were my first panic attack symptoms which caused me get scared of the panic and they still scare me till this day. 

So I will try the placebo effect, i had it yesterday so today, I just keep telling myself, I've had these 2 years ago and was still fine.  It's just anxiety....its easy to say but hard to believe coz its so scary.

Is this really just anxiety? I do get them driving also but I can somehow swtich my focus on the road rather than myself....

I need to get over this hump of derealization, I think if this doesn't scare me anymore, i can overcome this anxiety.  This is my worst symptom.
Hi Cara

Both of these have a large number of reasons for happening but the vast majority of them happen because of anxiety. I might have this happen to me once a year still. That is why I say I'm only 95% recovered. 
Starting off with the least common reason for them to happen is as a side effect of mental disease. Second is a disturbance of seratonin or other neurotransmitters. But for the most part it is a symptom of anxiety. For me it was pre panic. I would get a weightless floating feeling be watching me make the motions rather than looking from the inside. Time slowed as did my reactions. Part of this is probably due to neurotransmitters not doing their job. I believe the looking in from the outside is a subconscious part of the brain coming to the surface looking for a reason the neurotransmitters aren't working right. Hence the pre panic in my case. A lot of things we do unnoticed become evident with an anxiety disorder. My most disturbing affect of this was tunnel vision. Which I have not had in five years or more. 
How often does it happen, can you shrug it off as just something that happens with the anxiety. It is not something to have happen while driving though. 
Other causes all related to neurotransmitters could be low potassium from blood pressure medication, low sodium, low calcium and the other electrolites. 
A distraction that might work is called placebo effect. Placebo effect works by breaking the concentration on the symptom and works like this. When it starts to happen you say to yourself my blood sugar must be low and suck on a candy. Blood sugar has nothing to do with it. The candy is the distraction that reduces focus on the symptom is all. Focus on the candy. That is important with placebo effect.
Benzos make it worse even though they do calm you.

Davit
 Can someone give me more information on derealization and depersonalization? Its always my scariest symptom and I've tackled all my other symptoms, but this. I just want to know if anyone has some tips on overcoming this during an anxiety attack? Or maybe a cure?

Reading this thread: