Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Depression and Worry

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Worry affects me and my life in a very bad way and I have lots of the the symptoms mentioned here.

But one thing I have noticed is that when I distance myself from the source of it and all the negativity that this source instills my life than my tendency to worry goes way down and I quit having nightmares and sleep so much better. This one things reduces my level of worry tremendously and I have very little anxiety. It works like this I get rid of the negatives and therefore all that is left are mostly positives..

It's Kind of like Apples and Oranges thing. I am a Orange and do not want to be Apple therefore I am working on throwing out all the sour and rotten apples in my life. This One rotten apple at a time a whole basket full would be even better...

I have begun setting boundaries with them now because I find that they deplete my energy both physically and emotionally..If their advice is constructive than I will take it if not than I am going to avoid them like the plague.

Since the phone is a major trigger and so are appointments with these persons..I have now taken One Step to set some boundaries in regard to the phone..I leave my phones shut off  now and only turn them on once a day to check for messages..If that doesn't work than I will check for message once a week from now on and email I only use email for paperwork right now..I may change to snail mail soon..I think it is faster and less of a headache

Red..
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ten years ago I had to retire to a disability pension. I went from 3000.00 on a good month to 800.00 a month. I drove a truck that was given to me and cut out everything I didn't need. I never turned a light on unless I needed it and burn't firewood again. And of course I grew what I could. And still do so it picks me when people say I work to hard or I should retire to town. On what. Pension ten years later is still under a thousand a month. Skin I can grow, gloves I have to buy, can't get them on anyway. Shoes I wear till my feet stick through so my cats can eat a better quality food. But I am happy most of the time. (honesty there). And things not getting done, you can only do what you can, everyone has lost projects. I'm two or three years behind. No one but me knows. And I no longer care. Half that stuff wasn't for me anyway. I doubt it is as bad as you think. Look at me, I'm not living in a cardboard box.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Things aren’t getting done, due to my indecision, and the
quality of my life and my parent’s is suffering. I’m not able to manage my money as well as if
I’d been healthy, and this affects the
quality of my life too. When I’m perceived
as being negative, I’m less likely to get service from whatever professionals,
trades or anywhere, since my mood is lower than it could be.

Giving up my job was probably a mistake, but I did’t have
the courage to take a deserved leave of absence, and am somewhat resentful.

I can identify with feeling depleted, and the cycle can harm
me over the long run. Fortunately I can
get medical help, but it can be sporadic, depending on availability.

10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
People who are depressed or sad often worry. In fact, worry is one of the most common symptoms of anxiety in depression. People who worry all the time may meet the formal diagnostic criteria for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).

GAD is an anxiety disorder characterized by excessive or unrealistic worry over many issues including work, school, health and family. The intensity, duration or frequency of the anxiety and worry is far out of proportion to the actual likelihood or impact of the feared event. In addition, people with GAD may experience:

•    Restlessness
•    Feeling on edge
•    Easily tired
•    Difficulty concentration
•    Irritability
•    Muscle tension
•    Problems with sleep

Both depression & anxiety are characterized by negative repetitive thinking. Although the specific content may be different, the underlying processes may be similar.

How is worry affecting your life?

Samantha, Health Educator 

Reading this thread: