Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Panic Symptoms

12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Vincenza,

Well, the nurse explained with confidence that the tightness I was feeling around my throat was an indicator that I was experiencing anxiety.  Honestly, I couldn't remember having seen that symptom posted anywhere and I hadn't remembered experiencing it before - so while I was willing to believe her - I wasn't entirely convinced.  She asked me to take a look in the mirror - and sure enough, I had a red blotchy rash around my neck - and that really drove her point home.  When I am at my most anxious - I often break out in a rash - so this was a really helpful visual for me. 
Later at home, the symptoms returned and I again began to wonder if I was ignoring a serious symptom - and I entered the cycle again.  That's when I decided that I needed to take a little medication to help.  And directly after that, I searched in the past forums and found the thread where several members were talking about feeling like they had a lump in their throat - and then I was convinced. 
I spent the remainder of the evening fairly worried - about the fact that perhaps I was getting worse.  My nurse suggested that I call my doctor to talk about going on a daily drug.  She said that she herself takes Zoloft daily.  I think that last night I was nervous about how being on a daily drug might change my life.  I tried very hard to focus on the present - but future worries kept intruding.  It was not a terrible evening.  I was able to participate in family activities.  At the end of the evening, I listened to PMR and was able to quickly get to sleep.
This morning, I am not having any symptoms of anxiety and am wondering whether or not to call the doctor.  I think I will see how the weekend goes.  I am optimistic that this week was just a setback and I can set my course back to recovery.
I know this was a longer answer than you would have expected - it's a bit of journaling for me in the form of an answer.
Thanks for listening and for asking -
Carmie

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carmie,  Glad to hear you have great support at work!  How did the nurse help you realize it was your anxiety?  
Gosh, I missed so many good notes!  I wanted to say thanks again Museluver.  Today, for the first time I had trouble swallowing as one of my symptoms.  I went to see the nurse at work (She is WONDERFUL.  She knows so much about anxiety).  Anyway, she helped me to recognize that my throat was not closing up :)  I am so glad to have her at the office and to have learned something new about anxiety today!
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are so right Carmie if your don't dwell on the dizziness and remember your coping mechanisms it is bearable, still not a pleasant experience, but knowing what the cause is & how to manage your anxiety is a huge step in the right direction.
As we all know we can actually be born worriers & if anxiety runs in the family you can inherit the symptoms, especially if you have witnessed this. It is possible thanks to sites like this one to break that cycle.

You have come a long way in the 4 months I have been in here & I always look forward to reading your posts. I have completely changed my mind set & am a new woman, I have self worth for the first time in 46 years.
Keep up the good work
museluver 
Hi Ashley:

The symptom that started it all for me was dizziness.  I think I spent a month last year, trying to figure out why I was dizzy all the time.  You can't imagine how relieved I was to know that my dizziness was being caused by anxiety.  The funny part was that I would become more and more anxious, worrying about why I was dizzy.  Now that I know so much more about myself and anxiety, if I start to feel dizzy - I just keep on doing whatever I need to do.  Fortunately, the dizziness does not last long anymore, especially if I choose not to dwell on having this symptom.

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Here’s a list of some of the most common symptoms that occur during a panic attack:

• Feelings of apprehension, worry or fear
• Anticipation of misfortune to self or others
• Poor concentration
• Impatience, uneasiness, edginess, vigilance
• Dry mouth difficulty swallowing
• Butterflies, nausea vomiting
• Chest pain, palpitations
• Shakiness, dizziness, hyperventilation
• Sweating, headache, tingling sensations
• Jumpiness, fatigue, fidgeting restlessness

Not all people with anxiety experience the same symptoms. The severity, frequency and duration of these symptoms will vary from person to person. Please tell us what symptoms you have experienced and how you’ve coped with them. 
Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: