Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Understanding Social Anxiety

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleveno
Relationships give us emotional shock absorbers
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
eleveno,

Your therapist is right, but at first I could not see how this could matter since I'm the one that needs fixing. But it does make a difference. We are social creatures, even recluses like me that live out in the sticks. My therapist told me I had a social nature I just didn't want to use it. And she was right. It did not help that I thought I did not have the time for it.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My anxiety and depression caused me many problems in my relationships. When I am feeling well with myself I am an easy going person and very talkative making friendships easily. The bad news is that for at least the last 7 years I was feeling down without realizing it and practically never made a new friend during this time. When I had an opportunity to socialize I avoid it because I didn't have the joy of talking with people. Relationships problems due to anxiety and depression almost caused me my divorce. Fortunately me and my wife love much each other and we were able to win the worst part of anxiety and depression together.

My new therapist, which I had the first appointment last week, said to me that interpersonal relationships are one of the key areas of our work together and that people who develop a trustworthy network in their families, friendships or colleagues have more resistance to mental health problems.
12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I get depressed when I am having a bad day and my husband dosen't understand.  He just gets mad at me and ignores me for the rest of the day. On my bad days how he reacts seems to make me feel even worse.  It 's like he thinks I choose to feel this way, now that I understand the whole anxiety/panic disorder thankfuly , my bad days are few. Like a couple of people on here said, it makes it easier to talk to someone who had this problem, family and friends just don't understand and tend to judge you and look at you different.  I am glad this site is here, I wish everyone peace and anxiety-free days!  jaybe
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

And just why did you have to measure up to anyone elses needs? You are you and you are supposed to come first as long as it does not hurt anyone else. People will like you more for who you actually are than who you are trying to be. Just be yourself. Help others yes but not if it is going to hurt you. They might not thank you, they might think of you as interfearing.

Been there. All I did was build a lot of anger and resentment. My brother still does it. He still has the anger.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I avoided celebrations, job promotions, friendships most of my life, thinking i couldn’t measure up to other’s needs.

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

As we’ve seen before, depression and anxiety can result in many other issues. First, for a number or reasons, being depressed or anxious can cause people to withdraw from interacting with others. In fact, social withdrawal is a common symptom among those with anxiety or depression. Other symptoms such as low mood, irritability, anger, lack of sleep, lack of concentration can also cause you to have problems in your personal relationships.

What problems have your anxiety or depression caused you in your relationships?

Reading this thread: