Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Started Treatment with a New Therapist - My Experience

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
eleveno

This therapist sounds like mine. All the back ground the therapist wants is necessary to find where and when you went wrong. There are things that control our lives and some are pretty strong. The older ones are often hard to find if we have been blocking them for a long time. If your therapist is good He/she, will not give you the answers but show you where to find them. This works far better than telling you. You will get into core beliefs and possibly attachment theory or some form of it. Enjoy the trip, this can be very interesting and a real eye opener. It can also be just like a miracle. You should leave every session feeling ten feet tall and bullet proof. I did.

Feel free to talk about your treatment here, it will not only help others to understand therapy but it will help reinforce what you are being taught. Post anything even if it seems irrelevant or embarrassing. This is a non critical site, we are all here for good reason and for help.

Therapists can not prescribe medication but they do know the pros and cons of them. 

Good luck with this.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno,

Thank you for including us in your healing journey.  I am so happy to hear how much you find the online CBT programs helpful in addition to working with your therapist.  It sounds like you are on the right track!  Continue to keep an open mind and an open heart.  You are and will continue to be an inspiration to others.

Thank you!
Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do hope this all works out good for you!!1
best of luck!!
bren
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for at least the last 7 years and last year I had a nervous breakdown. This was a signal that I must change something in my life but I did not know what I needed to change. I started visiting a therapist 8 months ago to help me get the answers I need but now I just made a balance of the therapy and arrived at the conclusion that this therapy didn’t help me at all (I was in talk therapy). This was more evident when I started the CBT online program here about 1 month ago, as well as starting posting on these forums, and already feel an improvement more than all the talk therapy combined.

As I think I need to consult a health care professional to help me with these issues, I found a new therapist which I went for the first consult yesterday. I do not know if it will work but I will give a try and must remember that people are not perfect (even a therapist!) In this consult the therapist talked more than me and explained the process of the treatment.

The first part of the treatment is to know myself: questioning who I am, what I do, what I think, why I dress in a certain way, etc. In this part I will also discover the genetics heredity from my parents and what behaviors they had that could have had an influence on my own behaviors.

The second part of the treatment is more practical. The therapist said to me that the first part is essential and it is the baseline for all the treatment. In this second part we will deal with behaviors and how they affect me. I will need to have a balance in my life and need to have other activities besides work. Other important activities are hobbies, exercise and interpersonal relationships. The therapist said that these activities are essential and people who have it are less probable of developing mental health problems. The therapist emphasized the development of interpersonal relationships as one of the most important activities.

The third part of the treatment is when I will start diminishing the medication dosage and the monitoring of symptoms associated with it.

It is all for now and I hope to write what I will learn from each session with my new therapist on this forums, so other people could be helped also.

Reading this thread: