Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Consequences of Stress

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone:  I believe the relaxation ex. and breathing ex. are sooooo important.  All part of the self-care pkg. to help you relax from the stress overload.  Finding something which comforts you, calms you, which centres you again, which helps you "refresh" yourself, all very important things.  All under "me time".  Not selfish, very important, a time-out to reevaluate your day, your problem, your stressors.  A relaxing cup of tea, a hot soak in the tub, a good book.

I know I'm stressed when my body is tense, can't sit still, too much on my mind.  Panic comes into play when the tension makes my chest and throat feel tight, the chest begins to have pains which could easily start catastrophy-style thinking of heart attacks.  Instead, I turn to the above techniques.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find I'm less aware, and my ability to focus is reduced.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Catch 22.

Interestingly these are all things that can increase stress so it becomes a vicious circle with no place to start or end. 

I believe the answer is to get off this circular track and start a new one. Starting with lots of rest and proper eating. And no shame if it proves hard to do. Better than going round and round on the stress building track. Start your circle small, one thing at a time and add and expand once you are conditioned. Healthy body, healthy mind. (Healthy doesn't mean half starved either)

Davit.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

We’ve talked about anger, stress and disputes. We will now be discussing specific stress management strategies in a variety of settings & contexts.

Learning stress management skills is part of having a healthy lifestyle. It is just as important as learning how to eat well. Exposure to stress over long periods of time has been linked to the development of:

·        Frequent headaches

·        Upset stomach

·        Diarrhea or constipation

·        Lowered immune system

·        Disturbed sleeping patterns

·        High blood sugar

·        High blood pressure

·        Increased cholesterol

Does this sound familiar to anyone? How do you feel or know when you are stressed? How does panic come into play here?

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: