Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Myth or Fact

13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

GAD prevented it, so now I can try to learn it, with less time around caregiving and chores

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs.

Why? Time to bring friendship back in. Very few of my friends do not have some form of anxiety problem. And of those that are left about half of them don't even know they do. I do off line support for people with anxiety or panic attacks. My house and phone and Email are open to any that think it will do them any good. Not surprisingly some have become very good friends. Some have become stable and moved on but we have stayed friends. Some have serious mental problems.
I have learned a lot from them both about their, in this case disease, and about myself. But most people have just a mental condition. Curable with information and support. This summer I hope to start an informal therapy group that meets mostly for an out door meal and talk. I feel out doors is less scary than in a building. No leader, just people talking about their fears and ways of coping. Every little bit helps.

Davit.
With caregiving, friendship got squeezed out of my life, leaving a toxic work situtation, which I had to leave, leaving a lot of things to do and baggage.
I'm sure you're right though.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
T.J.

One in four or five people depending on which study you go by has some form of mental disorder. Sitting at a table with friends the possibility that you are not the only one is pretty good especially because you tend to pick like minded friends. It is better to have them know you have a condition you are working to cure than let them speculate and you might be surprised how many suffer anxiety and are afraid to admit it. I actually send my friends to read this site so they can understand me better. I have not lost any that I was not better off without. And the fact that I did open up for the world to see has made me a better person. There is nothing worse than looking phoney, trying to be some one you are not, or hiding who you really are. Eventually it comes out. I am who I am, warts and all.

Davit.
Ashley, you must be surrounded by some wonderful people

13 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been pretty open with everyone about what I'm going through. It's a choice I made in the beginning and I think it helps. 

I felt like it was necessary for them to know why I wasn't acting like my normal self and everyone has been reasonably understanding. Now that I'm starting to feel better, they notice. If I ever get into a bad way again they'll know why.
T,
As others share, you might discover you're not alone.  Notice how many people "view" versus participate?  Also, the stigma makes it difficult, but that's softening
13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I fall into this category, I have so far avoided telling anyone other than my Doctor, Mother and Counselor about the issues I have been having.  I have several friends whom I know wouldn't judge me for what I am going through but can't quite work up the courage to tell them.  I think it also has a large part to do with how much they actually care for me, I guess I fear their willingness to help would feel more like pity which scares me. 
I guess I'd feel uncomfortable with my doc's clinic in the same neighbourhood, and access to local receptionists to my file...but I wonder if they can read the doc's handwriting?

No-one except one close friend knows I'm seeing anyone, as I have for years. That's only since she was in my support group many years ago.

That stigma is strong..
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Myth: I wish I were like everyone else and ask for help.

Fact: Many people do not seek help because they do not feel safe disclosing their symptoms due to the stigma they fear may be associated with having a mood disorder.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: