Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Treatment Options

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Queens.06

Depends on the person. And the situation. I am at present on nothing pharmaceutical. I do have some valium that I will use if I absolutely have to, I break them in two or four depending how bad I am. I have had this bottle for ever. I also have some Trimipramine (a mood stabilizer  anti depressant) but I still have not gone through the first bottle, I have had this too a long time. If I did not have depression from the Arthritis and the Staph infection I would not ever need either, and as time goes on I will reach that point. Right now I still have trouble with negative core beliefs, not much but still some. Time will cure this. I would say I am free of panic attacks except for those medication induced and they are mild and few and far between and would not happen if I was more vigilant. But some days I get over tired and then I am open to all kinds of negative thought. Time will cure this. I have all the tools but they are too new. It is hard to bury years of panic attacks that happened every night, but they are becoming distant memories. I will become totally panic attack free and medication free because I believe I can and because I want to. Life is good now. Now when I can't do some thing it is because I physically can not, not because I am afraid to. And some times this causes depression or anxiety but not to the extent I need medication.
I do not know if I could have done it without medication, I was a pretty big mess according to my therapist who I don't really need to see. Most of the time it is to pick her brain and to get another opinion on how I am doing. I could do with out her also.

So it boils down to does it matter if you can get off the medication. If you need it to do the program then you need it. If you need an SSRI because of a chemical imbalance then you need it. Only CBT can cure you but it might not restore the chemical balance without a little help, and it may take longer than you like. It took me years, but I was a mess and I have other problems that made it hard. Giving in was never an option for me, I wanted my freedom too bad. And now I pretty much have it.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tiana,

I really like you explination of the diverse treatment options available to treat anxiety. My own personal experience has been a combination of each one actually. Initally I was doing the CBT and some relaxation. The CBT actually helped me try the medications. Now, I feel as if the medications are giving me additional benefits and enhancing the CBT. As my therapist has explained it, one does not have to feel compelled to stay on the medication forever either. Once the CBT becomes habitual, then the medication plays lesser of a role and you can come off it. I am wondering if there are other members who have sucessfully completed CBT to the point where they have no longer taken the medication.... If so, I would like to hear about those experiences so please post.

Cheers,
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

It’s important not to let anxiety go untreated. There are many different forms of treatment for anxiety, both traditional and non-traditional. For those of you using the site, you are familiar with both behaviour and cognitive forms of therapy. The goal of these is to modify and gain control over unwanted behaviours and change your thought patterns.

In behaviour therapy, we learn how to cope with different situations through exposure exercises in controlled doses. This benefits individuals as it teaches them life long skills to deal with various situations. Behaviour therapy can take practice before results are seen. Often times, an individual must expose themselves to difficult situations multiple times before they learn the coping skills to deal with it.

Cognitive therapy is similar to behaviour therapy in that it can take a while to work as individuals are actively involved in the recovery process, challenging their thought patterns. Through this type of therapy, people learn to examine their thoughts and feelings and learn to separate realistic thoughts and feeling from false thoughts.

Relaxation therapy is also encouraged for many panic sufferers. Through relaxation therapy, one is expected to learn how to resolves stresses that can contribute to anxiety. Breathing techniques, stretching and mind calming activities are used to help achieve a relaxed state. As with both cognitive and behaviour therapy, relaxation techniques can take a long time to learn and properly employ.

Medication can also play an important role in the treatment of panic. Helping to resolve symptoms and restore chemical imbalances in the brain can help to deal with the immediate symptoms of panic and move forward in treatment.

Members, this topic is always present in our forums. What treatments have you found beneficial to you in helping you overcome your anxiety and panic?

Reading this thread: