Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Inspirational Story

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Spartan:  Wonderful! lucky you, give him a hug for me too, he really understands.
Red:  You sound like you have a great partner too.
13 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Spartan117,

Wow, what an amazing story! Truly inspiring and yes you are very fortunate to have such a supportive and intelligent husband! Hold on to him tight! Support really goes a long way! And you know my tools are the support from my friends and family, the tools I have learned here..positive self-talk has been HUGE!

SIM

13 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red - - I'm really happy that you have a supportive partner, as well! It absolutely makes all the difference in the world.

Ashley - - I will definitely give him a big hug for everyone. I told him yesterday, that his story was too awesome NOT to post here. He just laughed.

Davit - - Thank you for your response! :)
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Spartan,
Thank you for sharing your story. Your husband sounds like a wonderful man. 
I also have a very caring and supportive partner.  He is behind me 100 percent and encourages me all the time.  He left me a note on the grease board saying.  "Your smile and Joy is music to my My eyes!  Enjoy your Joy"
We talk about my successes and struggles and he has helped in some many ways to get well and beat this thing that I could not list them all here. I feel very lucky to have him to share my life with.  Having a supportive person in your life is so important and having a support system like this group makes all the difference in the world.

Red
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great story Spartan thank you for sharing! 

Members, what are your tools in battle?

Spartan, wow you husband sounds so supportive!  Give him a big hug for us

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Spartan

You are very lucky to have this support from your husband.
And he is right. So very right.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday when I got home from work, I was greeted at the door by my husband. The first thing he said was, "you made it through a whole work day? That's so awesome!" I was very proud of myself too, that was the first time in two weeks that I had survived an 8 hour day at work. We sat on the couch and we were talking about the day, and he asked how I was planning on keeping up with my success and how I was going to continue making it through my 8 hour work days. I shrugged, because quite honestly I don't know how I got through that full work day in the first place. Then this is the story he told me:

"Right now you are fighting a battle against an enemy, and that enemy is your anxiety and panic. You can't go into battle unprepared, you need to know what you're fighting and you need to have the proper weapons and tools. You wouldn't send an inexperienced peasant into battle with whatever he might have on his farm, right? No, you need to be a Knight - prepared, and trained with the proper tools. So, what are your tools in this battle?"

I answered, "deep breathing exercises, positive self-talk, muscle relaxation..."

"Ok, good. But you don't practice those very often. Your deep breathing wont work for you in the midst of a panic attack if you haven't been practicing, the same as giving a sword to someone who's never used one before and expecting them to defend themselves with it. So if you want to get better and win this battle you need to practice. The only way you can become a Knight is with practice, and the only way you're going to defeat the enemy is by becoming a Knight".

I immediately grabbed my notebook and wrote down that story, after he had finished telling it, and now I have it in my purse with me and on my computer screen at work. I hope you like the story and I hope it can help be a light for you when you need it. Thanks for reading!

Spartan

Reading this thread: