Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,478 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

The three components of panic and anxiety

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit:  That nurse would cause anxiety/stress to a patient.  I'm glad you can stick up for yourself.  As you say, it's your health, your body.  Good for you.  Glad you can just ignore his comments by realizing it is his problem.  Who knows why he has to cope that way. Still praying for you my friend.  Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today when I went to the hospital for my antibiotic needle and dressing change my least favourite LPN was on. He is argumentative and sloppy. I don't like the fact that I have to tell him that he is not following the doctors orders. I also don't like the fact that he has to make unwanted comments about it either. So I have to be assertive. After all it is my health that is at issue here. I now accept two things. This is his problem not mine and my problem was how I looked at it. Just another dragon to chain up for me, he can fight his own dragons.

Davit
Loves trees

This is a "what if". They are very destructive as you have noticed by your reaction. This is second guessing the future but one sided. There another side, "what if nothing happens".
Balance one with the other. Can you look back and find this negative core belief that causes you to expect the one expected. Did you always have people react this way when you were assertive, did it push you from calm assertion to aggression? are you afraid it will make you aggressive in response. Does it bother you because you don't like to be that way. There could be a few core issues here you will have to deal with. In the mean time try a relaxation mantra like "it will be okay, I can handle this"

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Everyone,

The auxillary sessions Resolving Disputes  and Relationships these session are great for members to read over who are working on asserting themselves. 

Hi loves trees,  take a deep breath and know that no one has control over your emotions, you do.  Remember you have a choice on how to react to what is happening.  How do you want to be now?  What do you want to take away from this situation?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trying to breathe. I had to send an assertive response to someone just now and feel really agitated, anxious that it is going to escalate, that they will respond in a way that will upset me and cause more distress.

Being assertive is definintely an issue for me. I do'nt feel good when I have to do it. I want that to improve, for sure. I wish i could hit pause so i could figure this out before having to practice it but that is not necessarily how life works. 

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Teebs:  Me too, I had problems with outwardly keeping my emotions in check all the time, suppressing.  That way, it was safe, I didn't get noticed, I could fade into the background.  I had to learn that my opinion mattered too, that everyone has a right to their own opinion and sharing it didn't mean that everyone would pounce on me or reject me because I might have a different one from theirs.  I think I'm still a fairly quiet person, but I can speak up if I think it is important, or I just feel like it.
The difference between assertive and aggressive only clicked for me a few months ago. That was an important insight. I never understood why sometimes my tone of voice made people think i was angry with them. What i thought i was doing was being assertive but i see now i've been aggressive in the way i say things.  Saying Hurrey up! in  a really angry exasperated voice. This happens of course when I've already started to feel anxious. That much i've realized lately. 

13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loves Trees -

The relationship between emotions and panic attacks is an interesting one. I'm still delving into my own emotional issues, but from my work with a couple of different counselors over the years I have learned that I am outwardly very "non-emotional". Of course I still have emotions, I just suppress them, and when I get overwhelmed by them I think I'm more susceptible to panic attacks. Anxiety might be my body's way of saying "Hey! There is something here you really need to pay attention to!" How to express emotions like anger in a healthy way is complicated....a process I'm still working on!

Best of luck,
Teebs
Pink knitter

There is a thing called passive/aggressive. It is a condition where you go along passively trying to not rock the boat. But at some point you blow up and the person you blow up at doesn't understand, so they get mad back. Read what you can on this and on being assertive. Being assertive is getting your point across without getting angry. I think some of your core beliefs are definitely very negative, but I think you need to work on coping and relaxing skills first. The program works, that is a proven.

Here for you
Davit. 
My body reacts mostly with my stomach. I lose my appetite and start to feel nauseous. When i was in my teens and early 20s and dating, i spent a number of dates in the washroom throwing up! not a pretty sight. that doesn't happen as much anymore.

My thoughts are really racing and panicky. I feel really alone. This has come on stronger since i stopped seeing my parents 2 years ago even thought they are still alive I choose not to interact with them at all. What i have read about fear of abandonment matches up with the sorts of negative thoughts i have during an attack and at other times. 

My behaviours have become more anger based i'm dissapointed to say. On the one hand, i feel that there is anger inside me that is coming out for the first time ever as it was not expressed when it should have been. I repressed it. So my panic attacks get me in touch with my anger, but because i have not been with a safe person during these attacks the person with me (my partner) thinks i am angry at him and he sometimes gets angry right back. and you can imagine what it is like when someone is angry with you during a panic attack. This is what has compelled me to come to this site and commit to the 12 week program. I don't want to live and carry around anxeity or anger anymore. 30 plus years is enough. but it is taking more than i thought it would. 2 years ago, i naively assumed that ending contact with family members who were not there for me emotionally would do the trick. prior to that i thought getting a university degree would do it. and so on...

post ended up a bit off topic, but i thought i would mention the anger since it is triggered during an attack and i definitely want to learn how to deal with that. 

Reading this thread: