Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,547 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Fish Oil

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't been taking much for supplements because I take so much other stuff (BP meds Arthritis meds) that I have a hard time finding a time or place to take them but I better start again. B12 stimulates long term memory for me which fortunately for some reason it only brings forth good memories, because they are very vivid. A while back I told a friend a  storey about taking my canoe to town from my trap line instead of my truck. I described every portage, the weather, the wind etc. even the animals I saw. It was as clear as yesterday (maybe clearer) not fourty some years ago. She was amazed at my recall. I didn't know that some people can't do this. Fortunately I've been able to block the bad things from my past because there have been a few. Odd thing about B vitamins, most formulas have too much in them and I get irritable. Just the opposite of what they are supposed to do. I definitely have trouble absorbing Calcium. I have to take it to keep the anxiety level down. I keep hearing good things about fish oil so I should take it again. The last time I took it, it wasn't long enough to tell if it did anything.

Davit
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Correction to my previous post.  I meant to say anti inflammatory benefits instead of inflammatory.  I guess I need to take my B-12 today to help my think straight.  lol lol  :):):)

Red
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning,

I also starting taking fish oil again 1000 mg daily for the inflammatory benefits to help with ulcerative colitis and also to help with my high triglycerides and inflammation in my arteries plus  my depression and anxiety.  I have only been back on for 2 wks and am seeing a benefit with my inflammation and depression.  I also have been taking a multivitamin/multi mineral supplement Centrum silver for a few months now and seem to have more energy and am able to think much more clearly.  I take B-12 500 mcg sublingual dots if I am exceptionally tired as needed.  I used to get  b-12 injections once a month but  when  I got my levels  back up I changed to the sublingual dots tabs which are easier for the body to absorb and recommended by my Dr.  I never thought much about taking supplements but how found that they help me much more than traditional medicine or drugs Rx's  and without all the side effects.

Red
AmJ

Just a quick note here. Fish oil should not taste overly fishy or have an after taste. If it does it is going rancid and has lost its goodness. Some people have said it is actually counter productive at this point. Better to throw it out and get a new bottle.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Also as just a side note. I saw my doctor today and asked her thoughts on fish oil supplements. She had nothing but good things to say and her dad who is going on 92 is a retired pharmacist and has been taking it for the last 20 years and is very active and clear-minded. He attributes taht to the fish oil. It gave me some hope and I wanted to post that I did find out some more info on the topic.

AMJ

Hi Madge!

Thanks for your post! That really gives me confidence that I may be able to work this out without the long term use of meds. I plan on definetly looking into a nutritionist to see what my options are. Do you see a specific type of nutritionist or just a general one?
Thank you!
AMJ
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,
I haven't been on here in a long time and I just wanted to share some success I have had.  I had been on .50mg xanax for the last 5 years.  I couldn't drive anywhere without it.  I was told by my doc to take B-complex to get off xanax and it helped for a while, but it didn't help me to wean off xanax.  Anyways, make a long story short,  I met with a nutritionist who put me on (3) 1000 iu of Vitamin D3 per day, (1) evening primrose oil (Linoleic acid, omega 6, 910mg and gamma linolenic acid (GLA) 100mg) per day and a B-6 everyday and I am happy to report that I am coming off the xanax now with no panic attacks and no horrendous side effects other than slight headaches.  I started off breaking the xanax in half's and taking them every other day and I am now taking them (in half's still) every 3 days!  I feel so much better and have had no panic attacks and can drive now!  Just wanted to share this with you all and tell you ask your doctors about this!  It worked for me! 
Thank you everyone for all you responses,

I will definetly check with my doctor as to the supplements. Sadie, I too was prescribed anti-depressants but have been fighting taking them partly because one of my major phobias is with taking medication. I am hopeful to hear that others have heard good things about fish oil as well and I am excited to add it to my regime. Thanks I will let everyone know how it works for me.
AmJ
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I take fish oil regularly.  I started taking it for the same reason, I heard it was good for mental health.  When I started taking it, I thought I noticed a small improvement in my anxiety.  I'm not sure if it was placebo or if it was really doing something, but I figured it was good for my health anyway, so I continue to take it.
Ladybird.

It is quite a bit stronger than Camomile, So I reserve it for when the panic starts to push in. I grow my own so that may be why it's stronger.

Davit.

Reading this thread: