Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Experimenting and accomplishments

14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Davit,

Thank you so much for your message.
It sure did clarify many things and ultimately helped a lot.
God bless.

Best Regards.
G.
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gaia

Yes. One of the ways that panic attacks is by taking things that you enjoy and warping them so you can't do them.  This is where exposure comes in. Now when you start to do exposure you have to start small and work up. Now I don't know how much you know about negative thinking. But it goes a little like this. You like hiking but negative thinking does this , you start to think what if I can't hike anymore. Then you start to think what could stop me from hiking. Well palpitations or not being able to breath etc. So then as soon as you start to think about going hiking then you get these what if symptoms. This is most often subconscious but does get worse over time. THE ANSWER. It's simple. First you need a check up to be sure there is no physical reason why you can't exercise. Second when you have the OK to exercise you have to put a positive twist on your thinking. OK, so I'm Ok, there is no reason for this negative thinking. I can so exercise and I wont die, Increased heart rate and difficulty breathing are normal. Learn to take your pulse so you can think it down and learn to box breath for the relaxation.  Above all else every time you get a negative thought turn it around with a positive one. It takes a while but it does work.  If you read the posts you will notice the things that people fear the most are things they enjoy. And a lot of the time the things that people enjoy are mildly difficult so if your mind can make you fear them then you won't have to put out the effort. If you catch yourself saying is it worth it. Jump right on it and yell yes it is before the negative can get a hold. Curing Panic is about negative verses positive. But you still need the whole program before you can make this work.

Hope this helped you. Feel free to ask any thing you don't understand.
Davit.
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know it might sound silly, but ever since i've had anxiety attacks, i fear exercising...
I am always afraid i might have several palpitations or even chock.....
The weird part is that i've actually gone hiking and everything went smoothly..
Any advice?
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi members,

Some people make a distinction between activities that bring pleasure and activities that give a sense of accomplishment. Some activities are performed for pure pleasure such as going to a movie, taking a bubble bath, wiggling toes in the sand or basking in the sun. Other activities aren’t so pleasant to do but when you finish them you feel good because you get a sense of accomplishment or control over a situation.

For example, cleaning the kitchen floor or tidying up a closet may not be exactly “fun,” but you can feel “good” or “better” after having done a small job because you can feel like you have accomplished something.

Over the next several weeks we are going to ask you to do some experimenting by doing things that may provide a sense of pleasure or accomplishment. Again, all we ask is that you try it and see what happens.

If you’re having some trouble coming up with some activities that will give you a sense of accomplishment, here’s some suggestions to get you started:

- going to the gym
- helping your kids with their homework
- donating some time to charity
- going to the dentist
- getting up early

Let us know what you do to feel a sense of accomplishment.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: