Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Challenges

14 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit

Glad your feeling better.
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Every one has a bad day once in a while, even my therapist who I just got off the phone with. It can be so hard to think positive when the world is falling down around you. But you know it's not permanent, you can pick up again and keep going even if some times like today it is a challenge. One thing I have noticed is that like panic it is best to let it happen and then forget it. And it is really good to have someone to talk to, because the negative thoughts can build if you let them, even in some one such as me who thinks he has this thing licked. And I do have it beat. I just have a small problem that I let get big. I have infection still from my broken leg and something in oral antibiotics is a major depressant for me. I will be Ok if I can have a PIC line put in and do it by IV. So I will have a few days where I have to watch myself, and if I have to use medication for a short time I will. I do want to help people and part of that is because it helps me. How can I have negative thoughts while telling others not to.

On the subject of depressants, most people only think of coffee and alcohol but they forget about such things as cold medications and any thing else that changes how your body or mood feels. And the hidden things are the hardest to deal with. 

I have never wanted to die because I was depressed. But I have been in such pain for a long enough time that I just wanted it to end. Even Hydromorphone will not touch the pain from a compressed nerve in the spine. Only time or surgery can fix it. I was lucky not to need surgery but time plays havoc on the nerves. We all have an inner strength that we just have to learn to tap. And it is easiest to tap if you are doing it to help some one else. 

No ones life is without a bit of anxiety, just that some people have a more positive way of dealing with it. 

Ladybird, you are a strong person and your strength is that you care, and caring people will always have to struggle. But it is worth it. And for what it is worth I know all about becoming more reclusive. I am trying to find more time to be social even if it means getting a little behind in other things. I had a hard time accepting help till I realized that it made the people helping happy to help. I try to help them back as much as possible and I am enjoying the social side of it.

A Davit in a far better mood.
Thank you for listening.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, I admire you for staying strong and continuing to give to others the great advice that you give. I would have never guessed that you are dealing with a recovery. Did you know that when you are feeling down or depressed one of the best things you can do is share your time and knowledge with others? Helping others definitely improves your mood and your self-esteem as it allows you to connect with people and make a difference in someone's world, and you do have a talent for that!

Lisa, good luck on your surgery. I like the attitude you have going into this. Even though you say it might make you anxious, you are seeing the big picture and you are not letting it bring you down. You are going through with it because it will give you a better quality of life. That is great determination!

Ladybird, I like what you said about how counting your blessings. Sometimes it's easy to forget of all the wonderful things we have in our life. Today I was driving and was feeling a bit unhappy because among other things it was really early in the morning, and I am not a very good morning person. When I turned on the radio there was a report about the horrible earth quake in Haiti. Did that ever change my mood!

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've never wanted to die but sometimes in the past I have felt thats where I was heading becoming more recluse, being depressed and struggling with simple everyday tasks.  I read in a book to count your blessings each night before you go to bed so I give thanks I have a roof over my head, food in my cupboards, two beautiful children, a family and friends who care about me and I keep going.  I can't have everything so I'm grateful for what I have and when I'm not well I give thanks for the doctors and nurses who can help and care for me.  Now I've found this site I've one more for the list.  My biggest challenge is to start believing in myself again people tell me I'm a strong person and a fighter but I can't see it.
Oh I have certainly wanted to die at times and have been close a few times. This last week has seen so many things go wrong that I just couldn't help getting depressed. I could handle them if I hadn't had the bad news that I have staph infection again. I don't think it ever went away in the first place. The hardest part is not the pain but the anxiety I get from the antibiotics. There are going to be some panic days that I will have to deal with. It will be interesting to see if I can do it off the medication. I am hoping to stay out of the Hospital but if I have to go I'll take my computer for company. Cost is not a problem in Canada, what is, is the inconvenience. That is going to get to me.

A very tired and sore Davit.
14 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 I love your answer "staying alive" Davit!  That is exactly what I would have to say as well.  I have never wanted to die but always feel like I am going to.  I am having several problems right now which adds to the anxiety.  My periods are not normal, I just had one a week and half ago and now starting another one.  This was supposed to be my "one good week a month" and now it is gone.  I am scheduled for Surgery on the 20th of this month as long as insurance covers it.  I will find out for sure by tomorrow.  Of course I am anxious about this as well but I know it will give me a better quality of life.
Sorry I kind of got sidetracked on the question!

Lisa
My biggest challenge?   Staying alive!

During the last two years I have had a lot of physical damage that has left me a shadow of who I was and very dependent on other people. I basically have no reason to live any more. And I don't want to either.

How am I handling this. Well I just don't give up easilly, but some days are hard. Very hard. And I am not good at hurting people.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What has been your biggest challenge and how are you combating it?

Reading this thread: