Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Pets Help individuals with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

14 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Good morning everyone .... another day ....

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would love to see a picture when you have time.

That is too bad about the camping!  Let us know what you find out.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,

I will try to respond with a picture and let you all know how it is going with the new dog later next week.  Right now we have her on a trial period to see if we are compatible. We have been very busy get dog treats and other stuff.  The only draw back that I can see so far is that most of the RV campgrounds will not allow you to stay at their campgrounds if you have a pit bull or  rotwhiler breed of dog and we do travel quite a bit.  Excuse the miss spelling please.  I am feeling a lot of anxiety and  panic about this camping thing right now. I had to take my xanax last night.  I'll know more after I call around and see where we can camp when we are traveling.  So I don't want to get to attached to her quite yet.  Talk to you all later.

Red
Love it Red!

Congratulations!

You will have to post a picture for us to see!  She sounds beautiful!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just wanted to tell everyone that I now have a new addition to my family. The educators know me from before on the depression  center sister site.  I was thinking about getting a dog again.  I have always had dog and have not had a dog for the last 5 yrs.  I really missed have a dog in my life.  I  finally found the perfect dog for me today at the County animal shelter also know as the dog pound.   Her name is Sadie. She is 5yrs old and she is a chocolate pit bull mix.  She is a very loving and gentle girl. She is so happy to be here with us and I am already falling in love with her.  If you don't  hear as much from me for a while its because I will be spending a lot of time with my new dog Sadie getting to know her and loving her.  Having her here is already enriching my life.  Anyway I just thought I would let you all know the good news. 

Red
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone:  definitely! animals are a real help in healing.  The nursing home where my mother is, she is 93 yrs. old now, allows family pets (dogs) to visit anytime, as long as they are leashed.  Cats have to be in crates but then can be loose in the bedroom area with door closed.  For PTS and GAD, etc. the physical caring for a pet gets you out and about, and the emotional attachment helps you get out of yourself, thinking of someone else instead of your own problems.  And it sure helps that they are always loving and cuddly, nonjudgemental and think you're the best in the world.  Wow, what else can you ask for? lol .  I rarely feel lonely, am never alone at home and because I get my pets at the SPCA, it makes me feel good that I saved a dog from emotional and physical pain and gave it a good home.  It really works both ways.
14 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I completely agree Ashley.  After my first miscarriage, I ended up having a new addition to my parent's animals.  Only one puppy survived, just barely and I had to bottle feed her until she was almost 9 months old because of complications during birth.  I had to care for her as I would a baby, which completely helped me with the PTSD.  I had something that didn't judge me, that needed me and loved me.  My Roxy is now grown-up and still my everything!  She is probably the most spoiled chihuahua mix out there, but didn't have much choice considering how much care and time was spent raising her.  She helped save my life!  I would recommend anyone to have an animal...they do heal!

Lisa
Nice looking cat Davit !

Your right it doesn't have to be a cat.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As you can see from my picture, it doesn't have to be a dog. 

Davit.

Members,

In a recent article on MSNBC, a returning soldier from Iraq, Dave Sharpe, shared his experience.  He said when he returned he was struggling with PTSD he decided to adopt a puppy. He would often wake up in the middle of the night and punch and kick holes in the wall.  “Next time he found himself kicking something, ‘I saw this puppy, cocking her head, looking up at me, like, what are you doing?" Finally, Sharpe had someone he could open up to. ‘I froze, I put down my drink, I picked her up and laid with her in my bed,’ he said. ‘I cried and I told her the whole story. I didn't feel judged.”  

From this moment Sharpe recognized the powerful therapeutic tools pets can be.  He started and organization called Pets2Vets. This organization arranges animal adoptions for returning war veterans. The organization has been a big success.  To read more please visit: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34572712/ns/health-pet_health/

Members, have pets helped you with a mental illness or addiction? Please share your experiences.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: