Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Myth or Fact

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well during a panic attack it becomes very hard to move or think or breath. And it's very scary. But they all can be done, It just takes more effort. That's why I say if you have one while driving either park or get onto a side street till it passes. From personal experience I would have to say, no you won't pass out or fall down and you won't become paralysed, except with fear and thats another thing. In fact the opposite seems to happen a person tries to run but doesn't know where to run to. There isn't any thing Physically wrong with the body, the signals that tell it what to do seem to get crossed. Like being falling down tired or drunk. Adrenalin seems to be the problem. But how to stop the adrenalin rush. Well the only way to do that is stop the panic. So here we are again at square one. The concequences of panic may be chemical leading to physical but the reasons for it are all mental and this can be dealt with. Find the reason for the panic. Look it in the face and tell it to go away. Think possitive and soon you will be able to say "oh h--l I'm having another panic attack, big deal." It's becomes like gas, A nuisence in the wrong place but it can't hurt you unless you fight it. And even then not much. 

Davit.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Myth: If I lose control during anxiety attacks, would it lead to paralysis?
Fact: Some people during a panic attack believe they are going to "lose control." Presumably, they mean that they would either become totally paralyzed or not be able to move, or that they would not know what they are doing.

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: